PDA

View Full Version : Digital gauges with remote temp. probes.

Start the Bench
05-12-2010, 08:55 AM
I was comparing some digital gauges at a supply house and another customer told me his set had remote temperature sensors. The sensors are placed in the ductwork and measure delta t across the evaporator coil as well as wet and dry bulb temp. The gauges update temperature information by way of transmitter and receiver. I have since forgotten the brand name. The only set I have found so far is made by Stargate, model number SG3000.

I have never heard of this company, and have not been able to find any reviews of the product. Are any of you familiar with these? Do you know of a similar product?

I think this feature is very useful. I still use analog gauges and don't mind calculating superheat and subcooling the old fashioned way. However, realtime temperature readings sound useful for installs as well as troubleshooting.

Thanks,
J

nevgee
05-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Testo? They produce electronic manifold sets that have radio transmitter modules for measuring temp, also superheat and sub cooling calcs. There are now various other manufacturers with simillar products. Like most techi products there are the cheap and the expensive. Testo is becoming less expensive, I have a 560 and it's has been back for repair 3 times in 18 months. They didn't repair it the last time, just sent me a new instrument.

Try searching the forums on this site, there are some interesting threads on the instruments you're looking for.

DC5-T
16-12-2010, 02:09 AM
instrumetrix.com check for the Testo gauges they rock

judasfan
31-01-2011, 05:07 PM
I was comparing some digital gauges at a supply house and another customer told me his set had remote temperature sensors. The sensors are placed in the ductwork and measure delta t across the evaporator coil as well as wet and dry bulb temp. The gauges update temperature information by way of transmitter and receiver. I have since forgotten the brand name. The only set I have found so far is made by Stargate, model number SG3000.

I have never heard of this company, and have not been able to find any reviews of the product. Are any of you familiar with these? Do you know of a similar product?

I think this feature is very useful. I still use analog gauges and don't mind calculating superheat and subcooling the old fashioned way. However, realtime temperature readings sound useful for installs as well as troubleshooting.

Thanks,
J

I use DIGIMON PLUS-3 by REFCO, quite satisfied by the accuracy and quality. The price is relatively low. One useful additional feature is vacuum measurement . One of my colleagues uses WIGAM, better looking, but so is the price!:)

Tesla
04-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Hi
I was going to start a new thread but found this on a search. I was seriously looking at buying a Testo 560-1 wireless kit. These are not sold in Ausie but I could source from USA. But they don't quite do what I want - I want an instrument that is capable of data logging, connect to laptop with line graph, that will measure the whole system like SH, SC, LP, HP, OP, I, vacuum, air on and off both coils and a few extras all at the same time. Is there anything that could even nearly do the job? I read HVACGod knows a lot about refrigerant analysers. This is intended to find tricky faults and commission chillers with multiple compressor so mainly AC work.

stufus
04-04-2011, 10:15 AM
I use the Yellow jacket system analyser,it doesn't do OP or air on,off ,But it is fully graph-able in both line and block,and has data logging as standard.
Software updates are free from yellow jacket website,just bang in your serial number.
http://www.yellowjacket.com/node/928
Cheers
Stu

al
04-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Tesla

the climacheck is the only thing close to having that many inputs, the Testo is pretty damn good though!!

alec

Tesla
05-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Hi Al & Stu
I am now looking into the climacheck for it's ability to serve my purpose and the yellow jacket as a general tool and the vacuum measurement (even though 20% accuracy). I use several yellow jacket superheat calculation kits and many other little bits - ball valve connectors (3/8).
Thanks guys and I'll post as to what I buy and test.

Tesla
06-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Wow I'm a little shocked at the price of the climacheck! I got a price from local distributor AUD$8,750 plus 10% GST. Unless I win the lotto I think this great tool is a little out of my range. Are there any better prices out there from the option of importing this tool?

Fri3Oil System
06-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Hi Tesla,
the price of a Climacheck system may vary depending on the elements you need. If that price includes the training, I would say itīs a basic composition, and you got a good price for it.
Then it depends on what you need it for, and the applications you will cover with Climacheck. If you calculate how much time(of your time) and money (yours and your clientīs) it can save, then itīs not that expensive.
Yes, I do sell it in Spain, but, itīs funny to compare that we sell more Climachecks lately than our system, because people claim itīs cheaper and has a better payback than our recycling unit.. unbelievable! :D

Regards,

Nando.

Tesla
06-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks Nando
It's the new 100 206 model. I have not been able to find the difference to the older model. From the initial check on the unit I think it will serve my purpose, no mention of training in the price. But I am not really into saving energy at this stage of my job (though I know and have been trained how to), the task is to faultfind and finetune, along with commission the likes of a chiller with several compressors setting TEV superheat and trimming the charge. I also work on BMS with little or no access to the full. Just a few weeks ago I upgraded my laptop to a toughbook cf31 which I am still improving components to allow speed. I work on a site which has something like 500 buildings and this kit is coming out of my own pocket - as you could imagine I am price conscience.

Fri3Oil System
06-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Hi Tesla,

The main difference with the former version concerns the power meter (amperage, voltage), which is now separated from the main board, also the new case which is much better now.

I guess the price differential with Europe has sth to do with the long distance and transport and import issues. I anyway donīt believe you can get a different offer than the Australian distributor one. The manufacturer will forward you to his dealer there.

When commissioning an install, Climacheck can save a lot of time for you, as it allows you to monitor the whole process with all data you can imagine, from start to full load operation. For trouble shooting itīs also really helpful.

Effectively, a good way to get the investment back are the energy efficiency reports.

Regards,

Nando

paul_h
06-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Training? No such thing in australia, we believe in diving straight into the deep pool, no one here knows much of anything anyway except for the odd few that posts here.
Long distance and import issues? The physical importation is dirt cheap compared to the costs associated with a product passing through importer 'tax' and distributer 'tax' and wholesaler 'tax' and retailer 'tax'.
A lot of importers here are basically in the dark ages, where all those steps could slap on 20% because what choice did the end user have?

Prefer to import myself now, as it's fast, easy and cheap thanks to the internet. Supco gear and fluke gear I've bought without hassles for example.

I could buy a book from the UK that's by an australian author and printed in australia that's cheaper including postage half way around the world cheaper than buying it from a local online seller and local postage costs. (obviously B&M book sellers would charge more due to rent and employees so not comparing them, just au online and UK online).

It's a rip off here and always has been due to the small market and the huge mark ups. Then again, our split a/cs have always been cheap, go figure. It's just some products that have always been on the money train and still think they can get away with it. Books, CDs, clothing, electronics, cars, trade tools (like drills, ref gear) etc
Basically anything with industry or government protection.
in my 'cheap stuff showing up at the wholesalers' thread I was half addressing this issue when I said some of the stuff was rubbish (and cheaper elsewhere) and the rest of it was overpriced. I know there is a middle point as I've found and bought the gear myself eg stuff like supco (random example, not looking for or talking about that in particular), but that stuff doesn't seem to exist easily available from every place I've been too.