PDA

View Full Version : Daikin Altherma indoor unit outdoors

Sly Jenkins
03-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Hi,

I moved into this house in May and already installed was a Daikin Altherma split system. Now it's getting very cold andI want to make sure I've got it set up effectively and efficiently.

The indoor unit is actually in an unheated outbuilding next to the huge water tank. It doesn't seem very well insulated (flimsy metal cover) and the heating and water pipes to it are only insulated with 10mm lagging, the valves and pumps aren't covered. Surely I'm gonna waste a lot of energy through these. The pipes run out of the outhouse along and then into our back wall, again only with 10mm insulation. Is this enough, the system was only installed in 2008, should the installer have done a better job then?

I have the instructions on how to set the programmer and field settings etc but I also wouldn't mind a bit of advice on how I should calculate what I should set my weather dependent set point, equilibrium temperature and backup heater times for this situation.

The only model number I can see on the indoor unit is DAHB2, which I can't find reference to anywhere else, and it says 3kw. Is that the backup heater? The water tank is huge so I guess it is the 300l unvented one and I cant reach the outdoor unit to get the model number off that, it's on the kitchen roof.

Thanks in advance...

Sly

Sly Jenkins
03-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to say I'm using it to heat domestic water, this is constantly on and always piping hot, and to heat radiators, low temp I guess, and if I'm honest with you, it's struggling to heat the house at the moment. :(

Cheers

Sly

wozza
03-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Have a look at the model number on the outdoor unit that will give you an idea as to what size the indoor is.

All fridge pipework should be lagged in 13mm at least.

Sly Jenkins
03-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Have a look at the model number on the outdoor unit that will give you an idea as to what size the indoor is.

All fridge pipework should be lagged in 13mm at least.

I'll have to climb up and have a look this weekend. The refridgerant pipework has even thinner insulation around it than the water pipes! Is that a recommendation to fit >13mm or is it a building standard that the installer should have respected?

Ta

Sly

Sly Jenkins
06-12-2010, 10:50 AM
So I climbed up on my icy kitchen roof to find it is a ERHQ008ADV3 unit. The vanes around the side are all iced up solid as well which can't be good can it? I've read you can get a heater tape kit to stop the drain underneath freezing, should this be fitted for our UK winters?

Sly Jenkins
06-12-2010, 01:25 PM
The vanes around the side are all iced up solid as well which can't be good can it?

Gonna raise this as a seperate thread as it's still completely iced up now, there's no airflow through it at all?!

sedgy
06-12-2010, 02:36 PM
ignore this, I got it all wrong, sedgy

brunstar
07-12-2010, 12:15 AM
I think it would be best to contact the person who installed the system for them to come and have a look at it as it may not have been serviced since it has been installed.
It is advised to use heater tape in the UK and even a snow cover over the top for protection against direct snow fall.