PDA

View Full Version : Condensation problem

Brian808
02-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Hi All,

I have a custom built water cooled package unit made by Energylabs (I've always had issues with this manufacturer)....2 screw compressors, interlaced evaporator, condenser water reheat coil, powered by a ALC system. The problem I'm having is the evaporator condensation is getting sucked off the coil past the drain pan and onto the reheat coil and leaking from the bottom of the unit. This is a draw through system. Ducted supply and return, The filters and coils are very clean, outside air is balanced to code (thought there was to much humidity going into the system being from Hawaii) it just seems like there is too much condensation. The system was working fine for about 4 months and this just popped up. I'm assuming it's due to only one circuit running? And the evap coil isn't getting "cold" enough. Anyone have any other ideas???

Thanks

Brian_UK
02-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Is the evaporator coil condensate drain sized and working correctly?

Is there water in the drain trap?

Brian808
02-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Yes the drain is good and the trap is filled. Infact most of the condensation is going onto the reheat coil and on the floor of the unit...not in the drain pan lol

Brian_UK
02-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Is this a problem from day 1 or is it a new issue with the equipment.

You say the drain is good, does water flow from it?

Tesla
03-12-2010, 05:34 AM
HI Brian and Brian
I have come across this problem a couple of times before on AHUs. With too much air velocity across the coil or too lower coil temp is where the condensate carry over occurs. So maybe if you had both systems running with a higher evap temp or bypassed some air to reduce the face velocity the symptoms would diminish.

mad fridgie
03-12-2010, 07:34 AM
As Tesla has said, face velocity is to high needs to be less than 2m/s to be safe, or could it be that you are actually partly freezing the coil, thus increaseing the velocity through the fins (not quite the same as face velocity)

frank
03-12-2010, 09:19 PM
With the condensate geting 'sucked off the evap coil' we can strike out a drain problem.

Seems like, without further information, and as others have said, it's an air flow problem.
Has the fan motor been replaced recently?
Any other alterations we should consider?