PDA

View Full Version : solar refridgeration and chillers

Footsteps
28-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi Guys ,looking for a fundy on the solar chillers .Need help on this ,as it is something new to us South Africans.Need to know if there is a solar chiller avialable that goes as low as 3 degrees celcius.Using around 50 to 60 kw of energy per hour. Found a couple that go as low as 10 degrees but nothing as low as 3 to 4 degrees. We are suffering from black outs here in South Africa and clients produce is getting damaged due to the blackouts and he cannot afford to loose his product often like this.So ,please if anybody know s of a solar chiller ,please let me know.
thanks. Footsteps

Brian_UK
28-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Any thoughts on having standby generators installed to cover power outages?

Footsteps
29-11-2010, 03:18 PM
the cost of installation of generators and the running cost actually makes putting in a solar chiller feasable.
And I believe that the end result would be much better and would pay for its self.
So, have looked at that avenue but walk fast away from it.Hope there is a solar chiller out there that could do this work.

Brian_UK
29-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Fair enough, just asking. :)

mikeref
30-11-2010, 01:56 AM
the cost of installation of generators and the running cost actually makes putting in a solar chiller feasable.
And I believe that the end result would be much better and would pay for its self.
So, have looked at that avenue but walk fast away from it.Hope there is a solar chiller out there that could do this work.
Ahh, 50 to 60 KW? lets see......10 kw uses 58 pannels in Australia, so 290 to 348 pannels at ? dollars and that system feeds directly into grid on 3 phases, WHEN the sun shines for 30% of the 24 hours... the mind boggles just thinking of storage system required. Note, above 10kw/58 pannel is peak performance only, losses can account for say 15%.. Mike.:eek:

mad fridgie
30-11-2010, 02:33 AM
Reading this right, do you need 1000Kwhrs/day of cooling effect or a 1000Kwhrs/day of electrical power.
lets look a cooling effect first.
An absorbtion system, you will need approx 1500kwhrs/day of solar energy for this to work, annually you average lets 6kwhr/day/M2, so you would need 250m2 of solar array, plus a very large high temp or low temp thermal storage
system. What a lot of money, best look at at generator.
Or you be smart and think about the actual problem

Lovelle
10-02-2011, 06:28 AM
Worldwide energy consumption for cooling and air-conditioning is rising rapidly and the market potential for solar thermal cooling is certainly very large indeed. However, the market is still very much a work in progress – with only around 500 solar cooling systems installed globally – and has been largely dominated by Europe so far.I am also very much interested to know more about this. Amazed, that we depend much on Solar Power now.

Lovelle
10-02-2011, 06:29 AM
Worldwide energy consumption for cooling and air-conditioning is rising rapidly and the market potential for solar thermal cooling is certainly very large indeed. However, the market is still very much a work in progress – with only around 500 solar cooling systems installed globally – and has been largely dominated by Europe so far.I am also very much interested to know more about this. Amazed, that we depend much on Solar Power now.