PDA

View Full Version : A/C for a mobile home

handyandy180
27-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Hi all
I am looking for a reliable air con unit for a 7mtr x 2.5 mtr (28 seater) bus conversion into a mobile home. When we bought our bus it still had its coach windows (un-openable) with a large rear window. I have since removed all the windows paneled the sides and rear with composite board (Diabond). We have installed 5 x wind out caravan windows. Double insulated with space age insulation and will finish off the roof with heat reflective paint. The Motor home is about three quarters finished with approx half of the internal space now being taken up with cupboards, beds,fridges and so on. Ok thats a bit of where i would like to install the air con but that is where my expertise stops. I am not too keen on the roof mounted motor home units due to their unreliability.So over to the experts with a few questions.
1) Window rattler or normal room unit (unsure of the correct name of these types of unit)
2) Do window rattlers come already gassed and therefore easier to install?
3) Which brand of each type? (are they all the same or do you get what you pay for?)
4) Cost?
5) Pro's and Cons of each type?
6) Cooling and heating?
7) Minimum size (KW)

We have 240 volts installed so power only becomes an issue wen we free camp when we will probably use a generator if needed. I suppose the bigger the unit (KWattage) the bigger the genny?

Many thanks for any help with this.
Regards
Chris

james10
27-11-2010, 08:09 AM
a window rattler comes pre charged ready to plug and play, and are probably be the best option for yourself not sure on how the sizing is done over is aus with the high ambients you have i'm sure one of the local forum members will be able to help you with that one, over in the uk fujistu make good window units again i'm not sure which brands you have in aus

chemi-cool
27-11-2010, 08:45 AM
have seen split ac units on mobile labs and communication rooms.

I would not use the window unit cause you will have to take it out the wall for every problem.
The split unit is a better solution, place the indoor unit at the best place in the mobile home, the out door unit can be easily connected at the back and it will be easy to service when needed.

install monkey
28-11-2010, 12:32 PM
600 sq casette!or oper the fridge door for cooling and the oven for heating.open both doors for dehumidfy and the kettle for humidification!

paul_h
28-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Hi all
I am looking for a reliable air con unit for a 7mtr x 2.5 mtr (28 seater) bus conversion into a mobile home. When we bought our bus it still had its coach windows (un-openable) with a large rear window. I have since removed all the windows paneled the sides and rear with composite board (Diabond). We have installed 5 x wind out caravan windows. Double insulated with space age insulation and will finish off the roof with heat reflective paint. The Motor home is about three quarters finished with approx half of the internal space now being taken up with cupboards, beds,fridges and so on. Ok thats a bit of where i would like to install the air con but that is where my expertise stops. I am not too keen on the roof mounted motor home units due to their unreliability.So over to the experts with a few questions.
1) Window rattler or normal room unit (unsure of the correct name of these types of unit)
2) Do window rattlers come already gassed and therefore easier to install?
3) Which brand of each type? (are they all the same or do you get what you pay for?)
4) Cost?
5) Pro's and Cons of each type?
6) Cooling and heating?
7) Minimum size (KW)

We have 240 volts installed so power only becomes an issue wen we free camp when we will probably use a generator if needed. I suppose the bigger the unit (KWattage) the bigger the genny?

Many thanks for any help with this.
Regards
Chris
Window rattlers, or box a/cs, or Window/wall room air conditioners (WWRACs) are like a refrigerator. Anyone can buy them, put them where ever they want, plug them in and they will run, ie precharged and ready to run.
Two possible issues, first is power supply. Some will run off any GPO, some larger ones need a dedicated 15A circuit. 2nd issue is read the installation manual. Some have 'shipping washers' designed to stop the compressor knocking about in transit. Remove them as instructed in the manual for a much quieter a/c if applicable, also install so the unit is leaning backwards a bit so condensate water from the front can drain to the rear.

Only problem with WWRACs is noise. Split systems can be almost dead silent, WWRACs are always loud. Some people can put up with noise when they are sleeping and just want the relief of cooling, WWRACs are fine for that. Some want a quiet a/c, and WWRACs will never be quiet, so they are willing to pay a lot more for a split system professionally installed rather than a self installed cheap easy WWRAC.

my edit from yesterday seems to be lost, so I'll re do it. In australia the main choices for window rattlers are Teco and kelvinator. Both are cheap average units, the main players like fujistu and panasonic left the WWRAC market years ago. But kelvinator and Teco aren't too bad, I've installed a few and had no problems, so I would stick to those brands, not anything cheaper.

daveo661
30-11-2010, 12:18 PM
It all comes down to your budget...

A Window Rattler probably want a 5kw will cost you about $800 but you can install it your self
Pros: Cheap. Easy to install, Easy to clean and service
Cons: Noisy, In efficient, bad temperature control, Looks like ****, Heavy you will need to support the bracket in the wall very well.

High Wall Split System will cost around $2000 installed
Pros: Excellant temperature control, Very Efficient will draw around 3.5Amps, Looks Good, Very Quiet
Cons: Needs to be Installed by a professional, higher initial cost.

or you could go for a floor console, roof console...

The best would have to be a Ceiling Cassette due to the fact that they have a pump on the drain so initially it can go up hill for about 500mm and you could mount it in the center of the bus on the roof for best temp control and it would cool the room own faster....

Whats your Budget????