PDA

View Full Version : DDC controls preference

michaele
24-11-2010, 07:17 PM
We are going to add DDC controls to some of our existing buildings. We have Tracer Summit in a new building. We have Honeywell Metasys in another (I dont take that over until next month, so I am not familiar with it.). And I have contacted Johnson Controls for prices also. Our buildings are mostly chillers and boilers with AHU's and either VAV boxes or dual duct systems. Is there any of these systems that you guys prefer over another?

Tesla
24-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Hi Michael
Tracer is great for Trane chillers Honeywell and JCI is good too. From experience these are the big boys but you might get a better deal from an open protocol system like Tridium (owned by Honeywell). It is more about how much it will cost to maintain these systems and the level of service required.

dougheret0
26-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Unless you want to be eaten alive by service calls, you should insist on the full desktop computer software, training at their headquarters in programming and in adding and deleting control points. If you want to add or delete a temperature sensor, actuator, or solenoid interlock you should be able to do it yourself, rather than call the manufacturer’s service office. The full desktop software allows detailed monitoring from a central location.

It was my experience that the major control vendors refused all of the above, and only offered four-line readouts at main panel locations to allow the user to monitor the system, but change nothing except perhaps set points. One exception to this was Alerton, but since they are now owned by Honeywell, they may no longer allow user access to their systems.

Lowrider
26-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Unless you want to be eaten alive by service calls, you should insist on the full desktop computer software, training at their headquarters in programming and in adding and deleting control points. If you want to add or delete a temperature sensor, actuator, or solenoid interlock you should be able to do it yourself, rather than call the manufacturer’s service office. The full desktop software allows detailed monitoring from a central location.

It was my experience that the major control vendors refused all of the above, and only offered four-line readouts at main panel locations to allow the user to monitor the system, but change nothing except perhaps set points. One exception to this was Alerton, but since they are now owned by Honeywell, they may no longer allow user access to their systems.

Gotta disagree with you on the not doing it urself stuff. We (Trane) will let you do it, no problem. but you need software to do it and most won't put up the money for it!

So guess which brand i would go for? ;)

Grizzly
26-01-2011, 10:11 PM
All BMS systems now are interchangeable. Mainly because of the issues described above.
I think if you look into it michaele you will find that all use the same computer language.
Agreed internationally to stop end users being tied to one bespoke BMS System.
Let us know how you get on?
Grizzly