PDA

View Full Version : compressor shut down and restart

pigglet
21-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Hi can anybody explain please why a compressor needs to have a shutdown period of a couple of minutes after running for a couple of hours. Both dehumidifiers i have do this action at regular intervals, both are working well and neither runs at over temperature.
many thanks pigglet

cool runings
21-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Hi can anybody explain please why a compressor needs to have a shutdown period of a couple of minutes after running for a couple of hours. Both dehumidifiers i have do this action at regular intervals, both are working well and neither runs at over temperature.
many thanks pigglet

They don't compressors could run 24 hours a day.

But the system may need to shut down for other reasons, defrost being the main one.

All refrigeration systems produce water and the colder the system works the more likely it is that that water could freeze.

So the system shuts down to defrost itself.

All the best

coolrunnings.

pigglet
22-11-2010, 12:41 AM
I didnt know if it was to do with the continuous duty rating of the motor etc. I suppose on these cheap units they go into defrost even if it is not needed
many thanks for the reply

jpsmith1cm
22-11-2010, 12:52 AM
On a dehumidifier, I would say that the evap temperature would be such that defrost would not be required.

If your systems are shutting off, my first bet would be that they are cycling on the humidistat control.

martinw58
22-11-2010, 08:37 AM
most dehumidifiers have a defrost to clear ice and water from the evap coil