PDA

View Full Version : Bosch fridge evaporating tray smells

Alex.grice
21-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Dear all 5 yr old upright Bosch, condensation runs down the back through a drip tube onto an evaporating tray which sits on the compressor. Year ago tray filled and water became v. stagnant. Bad smell. Engineer suggested replacing fan and circuit board, not cheap. Problem now returned a year later (fan works fine) Any suggestions?

chilliwilly
21-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Have you spilt any milk or any other liquid inside the fridge?

Does the condensate tray have its own element, or use the heat from the pot or the high side pipework?

Check to see if the element is working, any level probes are functional, and that the defrost system is working, ie the board. Or in the case of the highside pipework. Make sure the pipe is in the bottom of the tray and doesn't allow for the tray to get too full.

chemi-cool
21-11-2010, 02:06 PM
The best way I know is cleaning the evaporator, drain tube and the pan on the compressor with a solution of 60% water and 40% vinegar, Doe's wonders.

I even wash my dog with water and vinegar, keep the flees away and the fur is shiny.

spimps
21-11-2010, 04:24 PM
If the tray is plastic on top of the compressor you could put some light bleach solution (domestos etc,thimble full in a cup of water) directly into the tray on top of the motor.
Water at a temp exceeding 20c plus whatever food remnants find their way down there is an ideal breeding ground for bacteria.
If you can release the tray easily (switch off first) give it a good wash with degtergent or stronger.
Milton sterilzer or baking powder in water down the evap drain hole will also help.