PDA

View Full Version : Diplomat APM6842 rattle and death?

babulio
19-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Hi all, I have a Diplomat APM 6842 slimline fitted fridge freezer getting on for 10 years old. I have already changed the thermostat in it (about 5 years ago).. The other day I came home to hear a fairly high-pitched rattle coming from it - sounding a bit like some rotating part in trouble. Without thinking to check the temp inside - I turned if off - then back on again. The noise did not return when I restored power - so I quickly forgot about it. A few days later I opened the fridge for the first time to find it was room temp. The freezer compartment had defrosted. When I cycle the power now - a faint buzz/ hum starts and lasts for 10 sec or so then stops. The light in the fridge still works - but otherwise no signs of life. I've removed the unit from the kitchen and all I can see at the back is a compressor - Aspera NBM1116Y R600a. Any clues as to what could be the problem please? I'm reluctant to scrap it because replacing it will be expensive due to its narrow size. Thanks for any help offered! Andy

mikeref
19-11-2010, 03:39 AM
A seized compressor is the best answer i can give. The rattle could have been valve problems but now compressor won't turn over. New compressor, drier and gas or new fridge.. mike.

babulio
19-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Thank-you Mike.