PDA

View Full Version : vacuum pump oil

ejonesss
18-11-2010, 08:22 PM
i was wondering what king of oil does vacuum pumps use?

is there car motor oils that can work?

if not then can refrigeration compressor oils work?

and are there any universal refrigeration oils that work on a wide range of refrigerants so using the vacuum pump on multiple systems would not degrade the oil as fast?

avico
18-11-2010, 08:49 PM

and are there any universal refrigeration oils that work on a wide range of refrigerants so using the vacuum pump on multiple systems would not degrade the oil as fast?

Refrigeration oil is recommended
I usually do that: Suniso 4Gs or 5GS also OK

glenn1340
18-11-2010, 09:05 PM
don`t use engine oil in a vac pump as it has detergents and other additives in it that won`t do your pump any good.

monkey spanners
18-11-2010, 09:24 PM

Vacuum pumps use vacuum pump oil, which is available at all good hvac wholesalers.

You can put any oil you like in your pump, but like one of my customers at a bakery who put cooking oil in their air compressor found out, it won't work very well or for very long.

Tesla
19-11-2010, 12:23 AM
It's more about the boiling point of the oil and under a vacume oil will boil at a lower temperature. Also how the oil reacts with contaminants like water. So if you want your vac pump to last and pull deep fast vacumes use good quality vac oil. I change mine almost every time and sometimes several times during the process depending on the amount of moisture and size of the system.

avico
19-11-2010, 06:06 AM
Say again. refrigeration oil is reccomended for where hard to buy premium VAC oil
Such as here, VAC oil is N/A. then i use Suniso 4GS. Very good working also have longlife time too, have never need repair

ejonesss
22-11-2010, 10:02 PM
i see belt driven air compressors like you can get at most stores like sears use oil too.

would air compressor oil work safely in vacuum pumps?

glenn1340
23-11-2010, 01:15 AM
i see belt driven air compressors like you can get at most stores like sears use oil too.

would air compressor oil work safely in vacuum pumps?

Most recip compressors run on an SAE 68 or if they`re in a very hot environment a 100 oil. I often work on vac pumps and they typically run on a 100 oil or a 150 (like treacle when it`s cold) if they`re in a hot plant room. The additives would be different too as compressor oil usually has anti foaming agents.
I can`t really see the benefits of constantly changing the oil, other than good profits for the manufacturer, as the pumps I work on have an oil life of 1000 hours and they go on for years often in dusty conditions.
But there again if you feel happier with frequent changes go for it.

ejonesss
23-11-2010, 03:09 AM
i was thinking because i was looking for a source where i can get replacement oil when needed and not have to rely on specialty stores to get it if the oils for air compressors would work and can be obtained from most tool dealers.

a7harkness
06-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Most recip compressors run on an SAE 68 or if they`re in a very hot environment a 100 oil. I often work on vac pumps and they typically run on a 100 oil or a 150 (like treacle when it`s cold) if they`re in a hot plant room. The additives would be different too as compressor oil usually has anti foaming agents.
I can`t really see the benefits of constantly changing the oil, other than good profits for the manufacturer, as the pumps I work on have an oil life of 1000 hours and they go on for years often in dusty conditions.
But there again if you feel happier with frequent changes go for it.

Umm..... and how many microns do you pull down to?:confused:

DC5-T
16-12-2010, 03:17 AM
Vac pump oil , I change it after 5 or 7 vacuums since after that time it takes longer to reach 200 microns, some people don't change it at all but I do

ktm
16-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Would u change your vac pump oil if u ran your pump on a system that u knew had moisture in it? Changing the oil is essential if u want to pull deep vacs and not damage your pump.