PDA

View Full Version : cooling a small computer room... (help!)

paulsimpson
17-11-2010, 02:00 PM
hi all,

i'm glad i found this forum. i run a small animation studio in london, uk. we are building a new server room - and i'm interested in "free cooling". however, most of the AC people i've currently spoken to dont even know what that is.

we have about 30 high power servers that render and store our work. they currently generate about 10kW - and i expect we'll double that in a year or two.

can anyone recommend someone or a company that could help us out? i'm v keen to fit a green solution - but i've met with much resistance with established engineers in soho, london.

i hope this is a good place to ask - apologies in advance fi not.

regards,

paul
No e mails please - contact via PM - Mod

taz24
17-11-2010, 02:13 PM
hi all,

i'm glad i found this forum. i run a small animation studio in london, uk. we are building a new server room - and i'm interested in "free cooling". however, most of the AC people i've currently spoken to dont even know what that is.

we have about 30 high power servers that render and store our work. they currently generate about 10kW - and i expect we'll double that in a year or two.

can anyone recommend someone or a company that could help us out? i'm v keen to fit a green solution - but i've met with much resistance with established engineers in soho, london.

regards,

paul
paul at realisestudio dot com

This is an excelent place to start with and I welcome you on board.

Free cooling somtimes is not seperate from mechanical cooling and to free cool
somthing you need in place the equipment that would cool, just like normal other systems.

It is nothing special or new but it is not run of the mill and it's not somthing done by any
old quick profit fast turn a round contractor, like what you might be up against in London.

Remember that if you have 10Kw of heat generated then in the winter it will be easy to cool
that but in the sumer you will need normal mechanical assistance.

Free cooling works by heat exchange without the compression process so the expensive
compressor does not need to be ran but pumps and fans do, so it is not totaly cost free.

No such thing as a free lunch I'm afraid :p

But all the best with your challenging project and I look forward to reading some of the advice you get.

taz

NoNickName
17-11-2010, 02:16 PM
I can supply a proper solution. Please contact me off list via PM.

DTLarca
17-11-2010, 03:13 PM
hi all,

regards,

paul
paul at realisestudio dot com

Very easily done - the best we have looked at in London is R134A forced convection pump assisted heat pipe applications with a set of non retrun valves and a compressor outdoors that runs only for a few hours a day during the summer days but remains off even during summer nights - overall SEER 100/1. as compared to the customary 3.8/1.

ploprof
18-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Hi Paul,

I work for very well known air conditioning manufacturer with a strong presence in and around London, we have a large line-up of systems including applications with free cooling and would be more than happy to assist.
You can find my details on my profile should this be of interest.

Regards

Argus
18-11-2010, 09:41 AM

Two things - First, free cooling is a bit off the radar for most A/C technicians who will diagnose a split system of some kind. If 10kW will become 20 in a short while, expect that to increase too in time. So well done for thinking of free-cooling, but consider the potential for growth.

Secondly, For free-scooling you will inevitably be involved in extenal building works on the fabric of the building involving, at the very least, air in-take grilles and fans. Assuming that your Landlord is in agreement and you are not in a listed building, consider legal permissions. External works will definitely come under building control and Soho is, (unless I'm mistaken), Westminster Council?
They have a very stringent policy on outdoor noise in the West End. Experience tells me not to expect an overnight solution.

Good luck.

paulsimpson
18-11-2010, 03:43 PM
many thanks to all! several of you have approached me - and i'm looking forward to the various solutions offered up. i'll be summarising them in due course.

regards,

paul