PDA

View Full Version : Hotpoint FF200E fault

Meadow Driver
15-11-2010, 01:08 AM
Hi folks. This is my 1st post on here, hope someone can advise me on my problem.
I have a Hotpoint FF200E, frost free, fridge freezer and it's not behaving itself. The freezer seems to be working fine but the fridge is playing up.
I noticed a few days ago that the fridge wasn't as cool as it should be because food was going off. I bought a fridge thermometer and this confirmed that the temperature was a lot higher than it should be. I read a few old posts on here regarding problems with this model and followed the advice. I removed the 2x back panels of the freezer and removed all the ice with a hairdryer but I must point out that there wasn't a lot of ice and it wasn't affecting the fan, vents or drain hole. Anyhow after re-assembling I powered up and checked the fan was running, which it was. I then removed the back panel from the fridge and checked the damper was opening when I closed the door, which it was.
I powered down then powered back up following the manufacturers instruction manual and left the unit on 'super freeze' over night. In the morning all seemed well, the food in the freezer was still frozen and the fridge temperature was down around zero, so I switched 'super freeze' off. After I switched 'super freeze' off the temperature rose a little but still stayed below 5deg. THEN, as the wife likes to say, 'I just had to meddle'. I pressed the 'super cool' button for the fridge and then the fridge temperature rose to almost 10deg over the next hour and didn't look like improving. I have since fully defrosted the freezer again (not that there was much to defrost). The power is now back on, it's set to 'super freeze' and the fridge temperature is starting to drop. I can hear the fan running in the back of the freezer and when I open the fridge door I can hear the damper shut after a few seconds.

What I'd like to know is:-
Q1) Why did the fridge temperature rise after pressing 'super cool' instead of dropping?
Q2) How does pressing 'super cool' affect the operation of the fan at the rear of the freezer and the damper at the top of the fridge?
Q3) Likewise how does pressing 'super freeze' affect the operation of the fan at the rear of the freezer and the damper at the top of the fridge?
I ask questions 2 & 3 because when testing the damper at the top of the fridge I noticed that the 'super cool' and 'super freeze' buttons seemed to affect it's operation. Could someone please explain the logic sequence for what these two buttons actually do to affect the operation of the fridge freezer. Any other info regarding the logic of how this fidge freezer operates would also be most welcome.
Cheers.