View Full Version : Working in the Netherlands

12-11-2010, 11:02 PM

Does any one out there know if there are any regulations in place that prevent UK based (Fgas registered) air conditioning companies working in the Netherlands?

I am struggling with the wonder web but i imagine someone on here will know!


13-11-2010, 12:04 AM
hey turnip.
are the netherlands part of EEU? I cannot see why uk companies could be banned ?

13-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Should be ok, f-gas is EU wide qualification.
But they might have something like CITB (safe pass) to work on building sites.

13-11-2010, 11:18 PM
This might be a good time to test if that City and Guilds are recognised Internationally. I know there worth FA in North Amaerica. Although in certain Canadian Provinces they're only accepted temporarily.

Don't know about Europe though, I should imagine that the 2079 falls more in line than the CITB does with other member states requirements.

Robert Hilton
14-11-2010, 09:32 AM
The Fgas certificate is applicable and accepted in the Netherlands.
We all had our STEK certificates converted this year.
One point though, a company in the Netherlands can be both Fgas and STEK registered these days, Fgas being the legal minimum.

14-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Don't know about Europe though, I should imagine that the 2079 falls more in line than the CITB does with other member states requirements.

other way round I might suggest
The CITB or rather construction skills is operated on a Accreditation scheme that the City & Guilds isn`t .

being a mandatory qualification the so called F Gas certification has to be re assessed every 5 years
so you can bet your bottom dollar, that those with a 2079 will soon have to carry out assessment for a 2080

Most folk think City & Guilds is the better qualification but it is not in my opinion nor that of the EU heads in Brussels

watch this space:)

14-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Yeah I know what you mean. Most qualifications mean FA these days, they used to be with you for life years ago. But unfortunately, they've created another industry by bringing out a licencing and accreditiation system.

I beleive the City and Guilds or nvqs as their called these days are a good thing to have. Its a shame that you have to be tested again every few years just to line the pockets of third party industries. Just so you can keep on doing what you've done for years.

15-11-2010, 04:19 AM
Can only imagine the language problem being an issue.

15-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Just so you can keep on doing what you've done for years.

100% agree

Fri3Oil System
15-11-2010, 08:56 AM
We went to the Spanish Authorities in Oct. 2005 to ask them for a standardization of City and Guilds of a Brittish friend who moved to Spain almost 7yrs ago now. He is a refrigeration engineer, and deals with RAC stuff. We have been since then waiting on an answer if his City & Guilds certificate is good enough to play in the local game. Still no answer, and what he shows to the environmental police is the copy of that application form we sent 5yrs ago. Last time we called them, thy advised us to do this(in our opinion, they just lost that paper, and didn't want to recognise it)

This may not help too much, but gives you a rough idea about government employees in Spain.



Robert Hilton
15-11-2010, 04:39 PM
I phoned both the STEK and the Ministry helpdesk today to check. Indeed as long as you are certified in the UK for refrigeration work then you can work on another member state's units. So no probs.
If you require any translation work by all means pm me.



19-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Im thinking back to my knowledge of European Law, which is quite a few years old now, but , if a Member state imposes a "restriction of a kind" which would prevent a national of another member state from operating there, then that would be an unfair practice and would amount to protectionism and unfair trading.

There is quite a lot of case law, and that member state could find itself in big trouble if they barred a " worker".

Ill add some more when Ive dusted down my books and refreshed my knowledge in this area.