PDA

View Full Version : York JK series compressor

eraser
09-11-2010, 03:09 PM
hi,can any one help me out,i overhauled york open type compressor,with necessary replacement of parts,2 times,but both times the compressor had damage,the same parts and same piston and connecting rod was damaged,first discharge valve reed damage and then piston and connecting rod damaged,first it was damage after one month,it is working properly,pressures and temp was ok,2nd time it was damaged after 2 days.
can any one suggest me.

Grizzly
09-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Hi eraser.
You don't give to many details but from the little you mention.
If I had any recip compressor with damaged piston/ con rod etc.
I would suspect liquid carry over.
You don't give any further details so
I can only be vague.
Liquid damage would be my first guess.
Followed by lubrication issues.
When you replaced your components, did you check the oil Galleries etc?
What tell tales within the damaged parts were there?
Cheers Grizzly

eraser
10-11-2010, 04:30 AM
Hi eraser.
You don't give to many details but from the little you mention.
If I had any recip compressor with damaged piston/ con rod etc.
I would suspect liquid carry over.
You don't give any further details so
I can only be vague.
Liquid damage would be my first guess.
Followed by lubrication issues.
When you replaced your components, did you check the oil Galleries etc?
What tell tales within the damaged parts were there?
Cheers Grizzly
Hi Grizzly,
Thanks for ur reply
i am giving you some more details
all oil galleries was clear,oil pressure was 80 psi plus 60 psi suction pressure,discharge press was 235 psi,chilled water temp out let was 7c,loading unloading valves working properly,always loader unloader valve side discharge valve reed damaged and further it damaged piston and connecting rod the same damaged valve reed,only one piston & connecting rod,discharge valve reed on the same side was damaged.current was normal,kindly advise me,i will check again oil galleries.

Dennis1977
10-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Hi Eraser,

The information that you give is still not enough to analyze the problem of the Compressor. As Grizzly say it may be because of the liquid flood back or failure in the oil system. But on my view definitely the problem is liquid flood back or liquid slugging. On my experience any reciprocating compressor that damages the piston and reed valves is usually occurred due to a liquid slugging. Can you please provide the following:

Present Suction Pressure
Present Discharge Pressure
Present Oil Pressure
Actual Suction Temperature
Actual Discharge Temperature
Actual Liquid Line Temperature
Actual Amperage and Design FLA
Type of Refrigerant
Oil Sump Temperature
Ambient Temperature
Leaving Chilled Water Temperature
Return Chilled Water Temperature
Type of Application and Design Temperature Range

Take this reading at full load operation of the compressor. We need these parameters to be able to analyze what happen to your chiller. Another question, have you replaced the piston sleeve?

Regards,

centrecipew
11-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Hi, Also I would suggest that you keep an eye on the actual oil level. To much oil would also give you problems, try to maintain 1/3 to 2/3 sight glass level. Oil must also be free from excessive foam and the sump temperature warm to the touch, not COLD!! Cheers and Good Luck.

eraser
13-11-2010, 05:15 AM
Hi Dennis,
i took below mention system readings during full load operation,kindly review and suggest,also advise how can i stop liquid flood back.
Suc press 61 psi
Disg press 235 psi
Oil press 80 psi
Suc temp 48.5 c
disg temp 48.5 c
oil sump temp 48.9 c
Liquid line temp 33.2 c
out let water temp 9.83 c
inlet water temp 12.11 c
cylinder Head temp 1.(75.7 c)2.(73.9)3.(75c)4.(75c)
Amps 150,152,153
Loading unloading time : 15 to 20 mints

Kindly advise.

eraser
13-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Hi, i forget to tell something regarding this compressor,the ***** gas is R 22,and other thing i charged 5GS suniso oil instead of york oil,is that a problem?

Grizzly
13-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Hi eraser.
Basically from what you post it would appear that you have both High sub cooling and High Superheat.

Excessive subcooling can be caused by.=
system overcharge, air in the system, choked liquid strainer and a faulty expansion valve (Closed).
Also your S/H is way to high (Exp Closed??)
Discharge s/heat is very low,

TD across chiller is low.

I would be looking at the system charge and the operation of the Expansion valve.
It could be either or both.

Also what style evaporator and Condenser do you have?
You need to check the flow rates to ascertain your pressure drop across the evaporator and condenser.
Poor flow rates will screw up all your readings. You need to confirm these.

If there is a strainer in the water circuit, check it is not blocked.

Also confirm your LWT Sensor is accurate.

If in doubt please enlist help,because from what you post.
You are very likely suffering from liquid slugging.

The oil you are using is compatible with R22 and it is a mineral oil.
It's the equivalent of York E oil I think?

Would you not normally use ABC?
Grizzly

RANGER1
13-11-2010, 09:45 PM
I think sustion temp has to be a typeo

Grizzly
13-11-2010, 09:51 PM
I think suction temp has to be a typeo

Well I am not going to argue with you, now that you mention it.
It does seem a tad excessive.
I don't think this on is all that straight forward.
Hopefully we will find out?
It would be easier if we knew what else was attached to this compressor.
Cheers Grizzly.

eraser
14-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Hi Grizzly,
It air cooled condensser coil,and all fan motors are working as per temp required,evaporator coil is shell type.and i changed liquid line strainer,give me suggestion to prevent from liquid slugging.thanks

Grizzly
14-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Hi erazer.
Sorry did you not understand my previous comments to what to check?
Basically you need to check these to identify the cause.

Having confirmed your PD across the evap you may start by rcovering a small amount of refrigerant to lower your Subcooling.
At the same time hopefully your Discharge superheat will rise and your Suction S/Heat will drop?
The biggest question is where to start?

Grizzly

zyaway
15-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Hi eraser. I think the capacity control coils that control the flow resistance of the current transformer or power card has a problem, check the time of entry and exit capacity into coils.

Dennis1977
18-11-2010, 06:48 AM
Hi Eraser,

Your reading seems like not correct mostly on the discharge, suction and oil temperature all of them read almost the same temperature. If the compressor is operating you cannot get this kind of readings. Check the microboard EPROM and replace if faulty. I believe your chiller model is YCAJ_______ and your compressor is JK43______ we need to know the other information of your compressor and chiller model. Base on your readings the Subcooling temperature (11.6⁰C) is bit OK, compression ratio (3.8) is bit low, evaporator small difference temperature (8.3⁰C) is high and your refrigerant charge is bit low. Unfortunately I cannot get the suction and discharge superheat since your reading is ERROR we required the actual temperature not the saturation temperature that shows in the microboard display. Provide the correct reading including the ambient temperature and how many compressors is operating during that time.

Regards

muju
18-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Hi, Readings taken at full load?Please specify chiller model no.Super heat at full load to be 5-7c and 7- 10c subcooling. ur pressure drop across cooler should be as per design or else flooding will occur at less pressure drop and unit running for long time and temp across cooler less due to more pressure drop. check water flow - gpm. also during compressor overhauling, bolts should be torqued as per specification. Do u use springs for discharge reeds or vave spring as they are used now? Pl attach ur mail id in ur profile so as to contact u.