PDA

View Full Version : BEKO Fridge/Freezer problem

james hardie
08-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Hi all, I have a problem with a BEKO Glacier fridge/freezer (FN244), I've had to leave it unplugged last night as the noise was keeping me awake....basically their is a click from the rear of the fridge, the compressor kicks in and runs for a few seconds max and then the click noise and it shuts down again wherease usually the compressor runs for a period of time. :(
Any ideas of where to start looking ?

Thanks in advance

James

sedgy
08-11-2010, 10:49 AM
hi james,
the click is the noise of a clixton< a device to detect an overheating compressor<,
so its a faulty clixton ,
or a problem with the gas charge

james hardie
08-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Thank You for the reply, Is this 'Clixton' part the same as a PTC relay ?
Is it an easy swap ?

james hardie
30-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Nowhere in the UK had stock of this part until recently, so I ordered it, it arrived this morning (£7 part), stripped old unit down and got the relay swapped but the fridge/freezer's doing exactly the same thing....clciks on, compressor runs for maybe 2 or 3 seconds and then cuts off again....just keeps doing this.
Is it time for the bin lol !? I feel good that I have tried to repair this beast but when a second hand fridge freezer can be had for £30-£50 is there any other cheap options to try before it ends up down the tip ?

spimps
30-12-2010, 03:50 PM
The click signifies a compressor fault,a protector is built into the compressor which operates when the starting current exceeds the normal,maybe seized or burnt out or winding failure,could have had a refrigerant leak which caused the problem.
Not a diy job,expensive to have compressors changed,will make a mess of £200,is it worth it ?

NoNickName
30-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Low pressure switch, maybe?

tonto33
30-12-2010, 06:03 PM
compressor had it replacement is £145 so either bin it or replace it

james hardie
09-01-2011, 11:35 AM
It is in Colchester civic amenity site now if anyone wants it ! Throwaway culture unfortunately but just wasn't worth repairing :(