PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for Chiller Surge

ksm
03-11-2010, 02:53 AM
Dear All,

I'like to know what are the reasons to cause surging on water cooled centrifugal chillers?

Thanks.:)

Sandro Baptista
03-11-2010, 09:05 AM
I suppose that on of the reasons could be the high condensing pressure causing the "stal".

NoNickName
03-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Operation out of the envelope.

CV_Geardrive
03-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Hi KSM,
Each centrifugal compressor has a maximum lift.(HP-LP difference)
This lift vary depending on IGV position.
When the compressor is forced to exceed the maximum lift then the discharge pressure goes from discharge to suction.
When the lift goes bellow maximum then the gas flows again from suction to discharge.
This dangerous operation is called surge. (Operation out of compressor map)
Possible surge causes are:
Poor water flow in condenser.
Poor water flow in evaporator.
Scaled condenser.
Scaled evaporator.
Low refrigerant charge.
Combination of all above.
No condensable gas in refrigerant.
Bad refrigerant quality.
And many other causes depending on design (unit design / piping design) in case of a new chiller / new installation.
Regards

hoodemar
03-11-2010, 11:59 AM
u can find good information in this document. hope it will help u...
h t t p
:
/ /
w
w
w .
mcquay .
com /
mcquaybiz /
literature /
lit_corporate /
AppGuide /
AG_31_002 .
pdf

excuseme ı dont have enough message i couldnt write the link correctly. u can delete the space by this way u can find the document.

sedgy
03-11-2010, 06:49 PM
hi ksm, is the centrif loading too fast?

nike123
03-11-2010, 08:59 PM
I would like to know what you mean by "surging" and who (and why) made that judgment.

ksm
04-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Dear Nike,

The sound comes out from Chiller is like Elephant squealing sound and the Ampere readings from Analogue Ampere Meter also unstable.So i thaught that is Chiller Surging.

Please correct me if i wrong.Thanks.

ksm
04-11-2010, 06:29 AM
No Sedgy.Chiller is not loading too fast.Thanks.

ksm
04-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Thanks All.:)

goshen
04-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Dear Nike,

The sound comes out from Chiller is like Elephant squealing sound and the Ampere readings from Analogue Ampere Meter also unstable.So i thaught that is Chiller Surging.

Please correct me if i wrong.Thanks.
Hi:
it would appear that you are correct and the sound you are hearing is indeed a surge condition.
this is mostly caused by either very low demand and low condensing water temp,or very high condensing water temp .
and many more abnormal conditions.
this condition is not good for the unit and will eventully leed to catastrophical failure!!!!
it would be advised to control your condensing water temp and monitor the control of your loading .
most units have a protection that senses a surge condition and will stop the machine.:)

ksm
05-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks a lot.:)