PDA

View Full Version : disconecting one of the fans

rbbopa71
02-11-2010, 07:42 PM
hi i have a suzuki carry van with a hubbard cooler on top.I have recently converted my van in to a sandwich van that will serve hot and cold food.I have partitioned the van so on one side it does hot food and the other side cold food and i have insulated everything. My question is would it be possible to disconect the fan that is blowing on the hot food side of the van?? and only the other side working on the sandwiches and drinks etc i have looked and ther seems to be a black and blue cable going to both fans and was wondering if one side is dissconected it would stop working with the other still working as usuel
thanks russ

djbe
02-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Hi Russ,
In short yes disconnecting the fan will stop it working.

But....... it is not as simple as that, by disconnecting the fan you reduce airflow over the coil.

Which in turn will result in the coil iceing up.

Which in turn could result in liquid refrigerant flooding back to the compressor.

Which in turn could result in premature compressor failure.

Sorry, but it was designed with two fans for a reason.

cheers,
djbe.

gravy258
03-11-2010, 07:09 AM
As djbe said.

you'll have to build a duct to blow it into the side you want to cool.
Or move the evaporator to the correct side.

rbbopa71
05-11-2010, 05:33 PM
thankyou for you answer would it be easy enough to fix a duct???

Tayters
05-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Why not try disconnecting the fan and blanking it up. In blowers when a fan dies, the remaining fan sucks air in through the dead one and not over the coil causing icing and cooling problems.

With the now redundant fan blanked this wont happen. I do this in coldrooms if I have to order a fan. Cut up some card to the size of the fan grill and cable tie it on.
Then you will need to somehow section the coil inlet on the hot side so all the air onto the coil comes from the cold side only. Perhaps bodge some board in there or you might have already done that anyway.

Of course you will be drawing less air over the coil, messing up original system design blah, blah, blah, but hey, don't forget the old chinese sandwich van motto, 'He who never made a mistake, never sold enough sarnies 'cos there was too much ductwork in his van.'

The purist in me says to check saturated evaporating temperature and compressor inlet temperature to make sure there is no liquid getting back to the compressor.

Hope that saves you some 'dough'

Andy.:o

gravy258
06-11-2010, 01:54 AM
this is a good short term fix Tayters

Take some pictures of the set up you have and we can advise you on ducting