PDA

View Full Version : Filling closed system with glycol

r.bartlett
02-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Gents what is your prefered method of filling a closed loop system with glycol?

We did one recently with a drill attachement pump and it went everywhere. :mad:

jpsmith1cm
02-11-2010, 07:18 PM
You're right, the drill pump idea sucks.

I have a small submersible pump with a garden hose attachment that I use.

That said, I don't do a whole lot of glycol work, so someone else may have a lot better suggestion.

Grizzly
02-11-2010, 07:29 PM
We look after several large ground source heat Pumps.
To top up the system we use a Karcher self priming pump with Hoseloc fittings on it.
A short length of standard 1/2" garden hose with a 1/2" BSP Bib tap fitting onto the system.
Which has a ball valve on either of the 2 charging points. The other end goes straight into a large dustbin which the glycol can be premixed into.

Connect up, purge the air by cracking open/ shut the ball valve, pushing all the air back into the dustbin.

Start the pump open the valve and monitor the system pressure adding more glycol mix to the dustbin as necessary until the desired charge is achieved.
Good luck.
Grizzly

Quality
02-11-2010, 08:36 PM
I have done very similar to grizzly presuming you mean an engine (petrol) powered pump

Grizzly
02-11-2010, 09:04 PM
I have done very similar to grizzly presuming you mean an engine (petrol) powered pump

Hi Quality.
The Pumps we use are German 240v Karcher.
I have seen similar available from Screw fix.
We would have a real problem using Petrol engines.
As the energy centres I am refering to are inside.
With the ground loop outside under the car park.
Cheers Grizzly

r.bartlett
02-11-2010, 09:28 PM
We look after several large ground source heat Pumps.
To top up the system we use a Karcher self priming pump with Hoseloc fittings on it.
A short length of standard 1/2" garden hose with a 1/2" BSP Bib tap fitting onto the system.
Which has a ball valve on either of the 2 charging points. The other end goes straight into a large dustbin which the glycol can be premixed into.

Connect up, purge the air by cracking open/ shut the ball valve, pushing all the air back into the dustbin.

Start the pump open the valve and monitor the system pressure adding more glycol mix to the dustbin as necessary until the desired charge is achieved.
Good luck.
Grizzly

I guess you mean a pressure washer type system.?

Grizzly
02-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Not at all my friend, Karcher make pumps.
But are better known over here for pressure washers which of course use powerful pumps.
I will see if I can find some reference to what I mean.
Grizzly

It's similar to the attached jpeg.
Just google Karcher surface pumps.:D

r.bartlett
03-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Not at all my friend, Karcher make pumps.
But are better known over here for pressure washers which of course use powerful pumps.
I will see if I can find some reference to what I mean.
Grizzly

It's similar to the attached jpeg.
Just google Karcher surface pumps.:D

I can only find a 230v one -we need a 110v version :confused: