PDA

View Full Version : The Brick

Temprite
19-07-2005, 12:30 PM
I think I may be carrying the worlds heaviest vac pump. ;)

Normally I use a Javac shark,but at the moment it is getting repaired.

In the meantime I have been using "the brick".

"The brick" is a home made vac pump made by my off sider some 25 years ago. It consists of a meter miser compressor surrounded by metal casing with two hand valves attached to it.

Weight of shark about 6kg.
Weight of brick about 31 kg.

You lift that up and down a ladder 6 times a day and you start to miss your old vac pump.

Apparently my off sider carried "the brick" around for 15 years.

Have to hand it to "the brick" though.25 years young and has never had to be repaired unlike the shark (2 years).

jinxycat
13-10-2006, 09:23 AM
cool man, you got huge arms now? how about a pic for a laugh

Tycho
13-10-2006, 05:40 PM
http://www.pbase.com/kimmo98/image/68491988.jpg

And here I thought my Leybold Trivac was a "female dog" to drag around
http://upload.pbase.com/image/68492435.jpg

Funny aint it, how old equipment works fine and lasts longer than newer equipment :)

Toolman
14-10-2006, 02:11 AM
Funny aint it, how old equipment works fine and lasts longer than newer equipment :)

Your right , heres a few pics of my backup vac pump and friend gave me years ago as you can see its s bit dusty but when I wheel it out , change the oil and fire it up it pulls a 30" vaccum every time . I bet its never been fixed ever!!
this one weighs about the same as a half full bottle of R404. Brand Rud Browne - made in Victoria Australia . :D

taz24
14-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Like most things with todays society, things are produced cheaply and not meant to last more than a few years:(

Cheers taz

jinxycat
14-10-2006, 11:02 PM
how cool is that old pump toolman, i love all that old time stuff that was made to last a life time, not like modern stuff, even a five year waranty will not mean its well made, just that they will give you another one if you still have the original docket (after five years, yea right) many a bargin can be found at those second hand tool shops, like old pliers made in germany in the 70's from steel thats far better than anything available today

Brass Monkey
11-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Love the old homemade tools.

Made the fastest recliamer I have ever used to date from:

-Old noisy AE12LMY comp (ex Coke)
-condenser and cowling off similiar unit
-LP control
-push button contact for manaul running.

Mounted condenser horizontally, compressor on top of that. Aluminium folded around four sides and extends past bottom of condenser on two sides, high enough to fit over clip lock roof sheets. Mount LP inside so you can leave it with a big bottle. Mounted the condenser fan and cowling on top. Use it for reclaiming large burnt/dirty systems. Cost approx $20 AUD. Over sized condenser means no hot bottles no ice required. Has not let me down 4 yrs and going.
Nicknamed R.U.D.2 (star wars)
Thanx.