PDA

View Full Version : Help/Advice with my Air Con please !

robertlucas
02-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Good Day to you all, I would like a little bit of advice before i try yet again to get my air con to work as it should.
I have a Carrier 38YY5060 which is in a bar i have just taken over and they have not had it working for a few years.
Had a engineer come out who found a leak,repaired leak and it worked ok for 2 weeks and it worked really well,heated the whole place very fast.
Now it only runs for about 20 mins warm and then goes cool,called engineer back and been told its the compressor and its a too bigger a job for him.
So i would like to know if this sounds like a compressor fault if its running of for about 20 minutes fine then goes cool.
The unit has a date on of 2003 so would this be coming to the end of its life or should i keep spending money on it ?
I have looked at cheap ones on ebay,but this unit is double the size which i guess is why it can heat the place so well when it does work.
But after spending £400 so far and now been told its a compressor which could be £1000 I'm a little lost what to do.
Im waiting for somebody to call back from Carrier as i see there have refurb compressors on their site,but i dont want to order one if it could be something else.
Any Advice would be great.
Thankyou
Robert

sedgy
02-11-2010, 04:04 PM
hi robert,
yes all understood, I would go for a new one< the other was 7 years old < ask for a price for an invertor < I have a panasonic and it runs realy well, of cource its a heat pump like your old one, and ask how many years the warranty lasts ? all the best, sedgy,

monkey spanners
02-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Hi Robert,

I would go with a new one too, i expect the existing system has run a lot of hours being in a comercial environment.
I doubt you will be able to get a 're con' compressor for your system as i expect it has a sealed compressor (unlike larger systems which is probably what carrier are refering to) it would be like buying a re con light bulb in your case...

Jon

r.bartlett
02-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Yes go for a new one but I would hesitate to use matey boy again.. Not casting aspersions but if a compressor is too difficult he should leave all repairs well alone

robertlucas
03-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Thankyou all for the great info, I heard from Carrier and they only have a new compressor at £1003 + VAT.
I know very little about air con,but been a electrical engineer i do like to try and work things out.
What i cant understand is how it runs fine for 20 minutes,is that how much gas would be in the pipes ?
And if the compressor does not work does the gas just turn back to fluid over night ?
Could this not be some sort or safty cut out ?
I have tried to get a service agent from Carrier to come take a look,but still not had a call back after calling around 6 times so far over 3 days,so not a good service so far.
I have found a new unit which looks pretty much the same with the twin fan outdoor unit, but its made by "Danair" who i have never heard of,but its onnly £2600 for the cassette and the outside unit and standard fitting,all new
I understang you cant just replace the outside unit as they have to talk to each other and must be compatable.
On another note if there is anybody round Shhrewsbury/Midlands and wants to come take a look please let me know.
Many Thanks
Robert

r.bartlett
03-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Thankyou all for the great info, I heard from Carrier and they only have a new compressor at £1003 + VAT.
I know very little about air con,but been a electrical engineer i do like to try and work things out.
What i cant understand is how it runs fine for 20 minutes,is that how much gas would be in the pipes ?
And if the compressor does not work does the gas just turn back to fluid over night ?
Could this not be some sort or safty cut out ?
I have tried to get a service agent from Carrier to come take a look,but still not had a call back after calling around 6 times so far over 3 days,so not a good service so far.
I have found a new unit which looks pretty much the same with the twin fan outdoor unit, but its made by "Danair" who i have never heard of,but its onnly £2600 for the cassette and the outside unit and standard fitting,all new
I understang you cant just replace the outside unit as they have to talk to each other and must be compatable.
On another note if there is anybody round Shhrewsbury/Midlands and wants to come take a look please let me know.
Many Thanks
Robert

If you're intending to stay don't go cheap. Buying a ebay special may seem like a wise investment but 3 years down the line you'll find it's either knackered, Danair (who he?) is no longer or the parts are obsolete

Cheap to buy -dear to own !
Buy anything Japanese and you will be better served..

If of any interest our office is in Gloucester and I have a guy going up to Blackburn tomorrow (thursday) I could possibly ask him to dirvert on his way back and have a look see (for a small charge)

Find my email + details via my profile and let me know

Richard

robertlucas
03-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks for that, but I think he will be many miles from me,Shrewsbury is at the end of the M54 just past wolverhampton and telford,but will be happy for him to take a look if its not too far out his way for that small charge ! Today it has worked for 2 hours and will not come back on unless i turn the temperature down and then it comes on with cool air.
But something must happen over night to allow it to work in the morning anything from 20mins to 2 hours.
Many Thanks
Robert

sedgy
07-11-2010, 06:19 PM
hey robert,
can you tell us all your conclution about your a-c unit? are you buying a new one? is is customary to give us an answer cos YOU asked us for advice

paul_h
14-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Carrier? Throw it away and get a new one.
Never the best to buy parts for ($$$) and takes a while. Not that efficient compared to what you can get these days either.

edit: my guess is a restriction somewhere, making it run like it's short of refrigerant and overheating the compressor.
That is if the system did have a leak and was properly charged after a leak repair.
It may have never had a leak and the guy just charged extra refrigerant because the pressure was low, then it would a restricion and the guy was plain wrong, hence problem persists.
It may have had a leak and the guy just didn't fix the leak, so now it has lost the new refrigerant and is cutting out on thermal overload because it is short on refrigerant again.
Bottom line, chck the unit because it's not worth paying for a compressor when it may be a leaking or restricted system anyway.

hey robert,
can you tell us all your conclution about your a-c unit? are you buying a new one? is is customary to give us an answer cos YOU asked us for advice
End users that just register to ask about their one faulty unit never really want anything other than a quick answer to read (hopefull DIY) and then never come back :)
I didn't realise the dates and the OP type when I replied myself

nhattranhoa
10-12-2010, 05:42 AM
Good Day to you all, I would like a little bit of advice before i try yet again to get my air con to work as it should.
I have a Carrier 38YY5060 which is in a bar i have just taken over and they have not had it working for a few years.
Had a engineer come out who found a leak,repaired leak and it worked ok for 2 weeks and it worked really well,heated the whole place very fast.
Now it only runs for about 20 mins warm and then goes cool,called engineer back and been told its the compressor and its a too bigger a job for him.
So i would like to know if this sounds like a compressor fault if its running of for about 20 minutes fine then goes cool.
The unit has a date on of 2003 so would this be coming to the end of its life or should i keep spending money on it ?
I have looked at cheap ones on ebay,but this unit is double the size which i guess is why it can heat the place so well when it does work.
But after spending £400 so far and now been told its a compressor which could be £1000 I'm a little lost what to do.
Im waiting for somebody to call back from Carrier as i see there have refurb compressors on their site,but i dont want to order one if it could be something else.
Any Advice would be great.
Thankyou
Robert
I think there is nothing wrong with the compressor, you try only "heat mode" when you need heating, don't use "auto mode", because in auto mode when the room is warm enough (e.g. after about 20min) the AC may auto change to cooling.