PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about using a fridge in an RV

Definca
19-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Hi, I am just curious if there is any known issue of running a "home " type of refridgerator in an RV? I am looking at purchasing a small 2 cu / ft model that only draws .9 amps 110v and using a 12vt to 110v inverter and running it while underway. The unit has a starting amp load of 3.4 amps and that still well under my 1000w inverter. My question is when I lifted the fridge up to feel how heavy it was I noticed and started thinking about the compressor.
The compressor is about the size of a small melon and has a floating member of some type inside. When you pick up the fridge to carry it you can hear it clanging and banging against the sides of the compressor. Will this cause a problem for the unit if it is running while driving down the road hitting bumps and turns, etc?
Thanks,
Doug

Peter_1
19-07-2005, 07:43 AM
The melon you hear inside IS the compressor. :D
The black body is only his shell.
It will work, I've done it many times. Take your fridge when you wanna buy your inverter and try it first.

We use an inverter of 600 W - it's build under the dashboard and in front of the dasboard are sockets - in every van to load the batteries for our cellphones, load our electronic leak detection, connect our portable PC, load the batteries of our hand torches, run in summer our coolbox,

We even used it in the car for thez kids to look television and to look DVD's while driving to our destination.