PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba spare parts prices ££££'s

Andy W
18-07-2005, 03:44 PM
I have a compressor gone on a RAV 461AH8-P apparently its a 12kw, got a quote for parts from my wholesaler who buys at discounted prices from HRP and a contactor to me is £96 and a compressor is £1006 all prices + VAT. I dare not ring the customer with the quotation for repairs for fear of been suspected of ripping him off! I recently had a 12 kw compressor for a Fujitsu and that was only £590 + VAT. How are we supposed to make a living when the components are that expensive. Regarding the recent threads concerning LG and alternative brands to LG,..........remind me on to forget about Toshiba!

frank
18-07-2005, 08:54 PM
I dare not ring the customer with the quotation for repairs for fear of been suspected of ripping him off!

It is the customers equipment and he is responsible for the repair costs. If you took your car into the garage for repair would you question the mechanic when he say's "it will cost £1000 for a new engine" ?

Don't try to rip him off but show him a copy of the quote and explain that you will add a mark-up and then your labour + ancillaries. That is the way we all normally do business.

The ones that don't, don't seem to be in business for long. :)

Andy W
18-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Good point Frank, and that is exactly what I do in these situations, I try my best to be fair to all of my customers.

Peter_1
18-07-2005, 10:47 PM
I don't know the Toshiba type (not an inverter I suppose), so can't you just fit a scroll in it, will cost you perhaps 1/3 of it.

Abe
19-07-2005, 01:38 AM
yes.............why does it HAVE to be a Tosh compressor???

Andy W
19-07-2005, 07:08 AM
I did consider an alternative but as the machine is high up an outside wall it would maybe fiddley to do, it is bad enough now! If it was at ground level it would be more feasible. Just waiting for the customer to get back to me to decide if to fit the compressor, (none in stock and on back order) or to go for a new complete system with a 3 year guarantee such as a LG. Did I say LG then, I meant Fujitsu!

Daddy Cool
19-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Spares have always been where the big mark ups are, they keep the new equipment margins in reasonable figures, but spares are on massive mark up. i always used to try to select another compressor that was off the shelf at reasonable price that would match the duty, always a bit of a sod with pipes not being in the right place, but even the spares didn't fit nicely, after having to wait 8 weeks for it to arrive.

Abe
19-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Two options Andy........

Get the unit off the wall and carry out repairs on a safe level platform.ie: within a comfortable working environment.

A compressor change can sometimes be tricky and u need all the patience, time, etc to perform a sound changeover, and at same time look and service at other parts of system.

Consider changing the outdoor unit if the price difference is small.

you can always build the price of scaffolds, etc into the job.......

Temprite
19-07-2005, 11:17 AM
I have a compressor gone on a RAV 461AH8-P apparently its a 12kw, got a quote for parts from my wholesaler who buys at discounted prices from HRP and a contactor to me is £96 and a compressor is £1006 all prices + VAT. I dare not ring the customer with the quotation for repairs for fear of been suspected of ripping him off! I recently had a 12 kw compressor for a Fujitsu and that was only £590 + VAT. How are we supposed to make a living when the components are that expensive. Regarding the recent threads concerning LG and alternative brands to LG,..........remind me on to forget about Toshiba!

Hello Andy.
Does your customer have insurance that covers motor burnouts?

Andy W
19-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Consider changing the outdoor unit if the price difference is small.I did consider this option as it always works out cheaper on Daikin and Fujitsu but Tosh do not make the units anymore and they have no old stock or are able to offer an alternative.

Sir Josiah Sodd
19-07-2005, 06:09 PM
I have driven a variety of vehicles over the years all with high mileages on them and never had to replace an engine.

So why do hermetic compressors break with a regularity that would not be tolerated in any other type of machine?

Mickvee
19-07-2005, 06:42 PM
I would either remove the unit from the wall and fit a non-Tosh compatable compressor, or cost for a new system. I alway think compressors do not just burnout, but are caused by other factors which are hard to find on a non runing unit.

frank
19-07-2005, 06:52 PM
I have driven a variety of vehicles over the years all with high mileages on them and never had to replace an engine.

So why do hermetic compressors break with a regularity that would not be tolerated in any other type of machine?

Do I take it that you are not a refrigeration mechanic Joshia?

Compressor failures can be attributed to various causes and operate in totally different circumstances to vehicle engines.

frank
19-07-2005, 07:09 PM
We had a similar situation with a compressor failure on a Mitsi.

Mitsi quote out of stock, 8 weeks delivery from Japan and loads of £££'s.

Asked our friendly United refrigeration supplier for a Copeland compressor (same model number etc) and one was delivered next day.

Toshiba do not manufacture compressors so why not get the same model elsewhere?

BritCit_Juve
19-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Silly Question Andy but why not buy direct from HRP?

Like most whores they will sell to anybody.
Also what conpressor is fitted? If it is a Copeland compressor then they may have that instead as they sell copeland units as well

Brit

Andy W
19-07-2005, 10:35 PM
The compressor fitted is a Toshiba YH506JA, can anyone else shed any light on a manufacturer. Regarding buying from HRP, I do not have an account with them but my wholesaler who supplies me and also a friend from years ago showed me how much the compressor was to him, £970 + VAT, he was selling me for £1006 + VAT so not an unreasonable mark up, if it was a copeland I could get one no problem at all.

Peter_1
19-07-2005, 11:00 PM
The capacity you gave us -12 kW - is for most AC given at 7°C evap temperature.
So, do you know enough now?

Andy W
20-07-2005, 08:13 AM
The capacity you gave us -12 kW - is for most AC given at 7°C evap temperature.
So, do you know enough now?I could match one up no problem, all I was wondering was if I Tosh did not make the compressor who did, and if I could get the same one with the pipes in the same position it would be a real bonus. As far as making another one fit that would not present a problem to me what so ever just a little tight to modify pipework etc, I did an Airedale concept 2000 recently, talk about tight fit and the extra time involved to fabricate new sections of pipe work, in the end it did not really save me anything and at the moment my time is very precious.

Sir Josiah Sodd
20-07-2005, 08:38 AM
I could match one up no problem, all I was wondering was if I Tosh did not make the compressor who did,

If it's a YH506JA it is a reciprocating compressor – as I recall it was used on R22. That pot is made by Tosh and you won't get a similar on the market.

Tosh, believe it or not, were one of the world’s biggest OEM black pot manufacturers before Carrier got their hooks into them.

I think that Tosh went to a Copeland scroll when they made the transition to R407C, and if the old memory banks are still working, the 461 part in the model no: became a 462.

It’s possible to put in another type as a replacement, but a lot of work, you’ll need a base plate to transform the fixings, and to amend the piping – suction in the side and the discharge came out of the bottom on those old things.

You probably won’t justify the cost, especially on R22. How old is the thing? You can get the manufacture date from the serial No: on the unit. First digit is the year, 0 – 9, the second and third are the month +20 - January 21, Feb 22 etc.

Andy W
20-07-2005, 08:47 AM
The serial number is 54380305, does that make it an 1995 machine?

Sir Josiah Sodd
20-07-2005, 09:09 AM
............. does that make it an 1995 machine?

Yes.

1995, made in March at Plymouth.

My Crystal ball was little cloudy earlier. The second and third digits give the month of manufacture from January onwards. 0 – 12 is Japan, + 20 is Thailand and + 40 is Plymouth.

An alternative is to look for a second hand OD unit. One of their G series for the same capacity size will also fit, but it’s a physically bigger (and heavier) unit.

BritCit_Juve
20-07-2005, 09:58 PM
That model compressor would have to be replaced with the same model otherwise the pipework will require modification as will the unit base plate to enable you to fix it.
The larger R407C models do use a Copeland Compliant and these would have been easier to obtain.
s to buying from HRP you don't need an account most times as they take all known types of plastic as well as cash. Having said all that they probably wouldn't give you any discount anyway so it would be more expensive as well as still out of stock.

Brit

Andy W
20-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Yes.

1995, made in March at Plymouth.

My Crystal ball was little cloudy earlier. The second and third digits give the month of manufacture from January onwards. 0 – 12 is Japan, + 20 is Thailand and + 40 is Plymouth.

An alternative is to look for a second hand OD unit. One of their G series for the same capacity size will also fit, but it’s a physically bigger (and heavier) unit.Thanks very much for the above information, it is nice to have all this information at our disposal.