PDA

View Full Version : so much for fgas then

fowlie
30-10-2010, 05:56 PM
wandering round my local halfords car part shop today and couldnt belive my eyes,its a car air con recharger with a dial on it telling you how to top up the system.they must be able to sell it by the fact its got an sealing agent inside it but still abit of a joke considering all the hoops we have to jump through regarding fgas regs.

chilliwilly
30-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Yes I know what you mean. I was told that the manufacture of these top up cans had been stopped sometime last year. There might be a cut off date for the sale of them at a later date.

But yes we've all had to lie down and stick our fingers up our arses to enable us to carry on doing what we've done for years. But yet Jo and Josie bloggs can top up their car aircon, and the fridge and freezer in the corner shop and kebab shop without having to do a leak check or repair.

They sell a lot of this kind of stuff on Ebay. Infact there's one trader from the Far East selling R12! Thats the original CFC formulated R12, not the substituted gas that's reffered to as R12. I think that with the top up cans, there will be something stamped on the can about being licensed to use it for its intended purpose. After all its just another way of supplying and distributing the gas in smaller quantities.

I actually used a couple of these a couple of years ago to top up a beer cooler that had a faulty schrader, because I didn't have any 134a left on the van. And it was Saturday morning and everywhere was shut, and it was a bank holiday weekend, and non of my collegues had any to hand neither. The club was very satisfied though, and now I do their maintenance on their refrigeration and ware washing equipment. So it can work as a bonus for engineers, when your in need of a shot of gas.

cool runings
31-10-2010, 12:11 AM
wandering round my local halfords car part shop today and couldnt belive my eyes,its a car air con recharger with a dial on it telling you how to top up the system.they must be able to sell it by the fact its got an sealing agent inside it but still abit of a joke considering all the hoops we have to jump through regarding fgas regs.

It has taken the gas industry decades to regulate
the use of natural gas, so why do you think the refrigeration industry can do it in less than 10 years.

We have to make small steps in the right direction. F gas does not include mobile but it does include desposable containers and they have been banned.

But if a manufacturer has stock piled them then they can legaly sell those untill they have all gone.

R134a was banned as a mobile refigerant in 2009 also but untill they invent a refrigerant with a GWP of less than 150 then R134a will continue to be used.

It is not ideal but we are moving in the right direction.

coolrunings.