PDA

View Full Version : My Rack needs mow refrigerant ??

refrig brain
28-10-2010, 07:00 PM
I am a maintenance dude at a old supermarket and we have all kind of old racks, cases...etc. In general, the controllers work, but the sensors and nice to have accesories don't work or are history. :confused:

So ! in a wing it or kentucky windage environment, if a rack has a sight glass that is flashing, but the cases are maintaining reasonably ok the temps, and I fixed the evap at a seafood case, how can I identify the level of the refrigerant in the receiver without devices or accesories that indicate the level? How much refrigerant do I know to charge?

Once I charged the system and if all blowers, EPR's, TXV's, CFM from honeycombs...etc are working properly, how can I figure out the liquid level in the receiver without any help of cool stuff other than my refrig brain ???? :p

jpsmith1cm
28-10-2010, 10:50 PM
I am a maintenance dude at a old supermarket and we have all kind of old racks, cases...etc. In general, the controllers work, but the sensors and nice to have accesories don't work or are history. :confused:

So ! in a wing it or kentucky windage environment, if a rack has a sight glass that is flashing, but the cases are maintaining reasonably ok the temps, and I fixed the evap at a seafood case, how can I identify the level of the refrigerant in the receiver without devices or accesories that indicate the level? How much refrigerant do I know to charge?

Once I charged the system and if all blowers, EPR's, TXV's, CFM from honeycombs...etc are working properly, how can I figure out the liquid level in the receiver without any help of cool stuff other than my refrig brain ???? :p

There is an old mechanics trick to determining the level of fluid in a tank.

Warm a vertical 'line' on the tank with a heat gun or torch. Then quickly wipe your hand over it. If it is still warm to hot, then there is vapor there. If it is cool, then it is liquid.