PDA

View Full Version : Looking for temperatur probe water proof? (Eliwell) or other

Ricardo Pimenta
24-10-2010, 09:38 PM
I have chosen the eliwell IC974, to control the chiller and the heating of my reef tank, but from eliwell they told me that the NTC temperature probe they have and that are
indicated has water-proof can't be immerse under liquids, and in my case I will put it direct under salt water.

If anyone have a suggestion that could help me I will be grateful?

I can't use the PTC ones because they are made from inox and in direct contact with salt water they will rust and bring problems to the invertebrates, I only could use plastic materials.

If there is another brand of controllers reliable that anyone could advise me and have what I need that's also a possibility.

Thanks

Ricardo Pimenta

monkey spanners
24-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Get a salt proof tube, sealed at one end and feed the probe into it, put some heat transfer paste on the probe.

Ricardo Pimenta
24-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Thank you for you help, but my first problem is to get a "salt proof tube", because I only know titanium and I can't grab one peace of that.

Do you think that some kind of PVC should solve the problem, or this will create a great isolation between the probe and the water and I will get a big difference?

Could you please indicate what do you mean by "heat transfer paste", this is the type of product used under the Processor of the computers?

Thanks

Ricardo Pimenta

monkey spanners
24-10-2010, 11:02 PM
I use a Dow Corning heat transfer paste for milk tank temp probes, i think it is their '340' product.

Would food grade stainless be salt proof? If not a quick ebay search showed many titanium tubes for sale.

Maybe some other members will know of a water proof probe.

Jon :)

Ian_Eb
26-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Some sort of glass tube would do? Maybe an old heater or some sort of test tube type thing?

james10
26-10-2010, 07:09 PM
As monkeyspanners says use a salt proof tube, you could use plastic and heat sink compound if the plastic is causing a insulation effect offset the probe to compensate for the difference