PDA

View Full Version : Speed Awareness Course.

Grizzly
20-10-2010, 08:35 AM
I have to attend one today which is offered in Somerset.( I believe some counties don't offer these?)
It is 3 hrs long so I have ended up taking a day's holiday to cover it.
I still had to pay the £60.0 fine but at least I don't get the 3 points on my licence.
Given the mileage I do, it's inevitable I suppose!
Do other Counties/ Countries operate similar?
Grizzly

nike123
20-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Did you now more aware of speed because of that course or because of fine and possibility of loosing license and jeopardize your income?:p

r.bartlett
20-10-2010, 01:46 PM
I got done in Bournemouth the other week. I shall look into this as it might save me some points too

Spencer.Guy
20-10-2010, 05:25 PM
I got done in Bournemouth the other week. I shall look into this as it might save me some points too

It's not a choice you have inititally.

Either they offer you the chance of doing the course instead of points or they don't.

You'll know when you get / got your first notification of the offence as a named driver

Chunk
20-10-2010, 05:47 PM
I was caught by the Norfolk police whilst i was away doing my fgas course.They sent me a letter offering me this speed awareness thingy but their one was a day and a half and can only be done in Norfolk.

I asked to have it transferred to Kent as i live there and was told that if i did i would have to pay £195 instead of the original £60.Plus having to take time off work unpaid.

I told them to stick it up their theiving behinds and paid the fine and got the points.:cool:I feel so proud.

james10
20-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Derbyshire do the course costs you to do it

frank
20-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Nottingham offer the course to first time offenders and the course lasts 1/2 day in Newark.

Not that I've been on it myself you understand :D:D

Brian_UK
20-10-2010, 11:06 PM
It depends how far over the limit you were whether you get offered the course.

chilliwilly
20-10-2010, 11:23 PM
You have to reply within fifty days of the offence. Because I have a lease vehicle it took them 60 days to trace me, so I had to pay the fine and have the points.

Magoo
21-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Me being a general lead foot and always in a hurry, I discovered "cruise control ", and saved myself a fortune.

mikeref
21-10-2010, 12:32 AM
I have to attend one today which is offered in Somerset.( I believe some counties don't offer these?)
It is 3 hrs long so I have ended up taking a day's holiday to cover it.
I still had to pay the £60.0 fine but at least I don't get the 3 points on my licence.
Given the mileage I do, it's inevitable I suppose!
Do other Counties/ Countries operate similar?
Grizzly
Oh, so you get points added? Here, we have 12 on a full licence and LOOSE them in various amounts. Can only get them back after 3 years/offence. Go D.U.I.(drink driving) and watch the licence evaporate.

mikeref
21-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Me being a general lead foot and always in a hurry, I discovered "cruise control ", and saved myself a fortune.
Magoo, i agree with you there.

TRASH101
21-10-2010, 08:33 AM
I'm really dischuffed after getting a notification through the door. A cold misty morning just outside of Hull. The "A" road goes from national to 30mph for some road works, which are about 400 yds further on. 30 feels insanely slow on a wide open rural road, until the camera flashes!!!!

My last points had cleared this year:mad::(

So how do you get on one of these speed awareness courses???;)

r.bartlett
21-10-2010, 10:01 AM
It depends how far over the limit you were whether you get offered the course.

Bugger 44 in a 30 me on for fine/points :confused:

Brian_UK
21-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Bugger 44 in a 30 me on for fine/points :confused:
Maybe not; I was in the 36mph class and others were in a 40 or 40+ class. They didn't get a coffee break. :D

mad fridgie
22-10-2010, 12:02 AM
I (am) was a speeder, lost the licience a couple of times (all but one of the many fines was work related), I found that moving to a desiel helped, but that is now out of the window, What i do now is install a large spring on my excelerator pendal, this has certainly slowed me down especially in low speed zone areas. where it is so easy to speed just by nudging the pedal in modern cars

mikeref
22-10-2010, 12:31 AM
I (am) was a speeder, lost the licience a couple of times (all but one of the many fines was work related), I found that moving to a desiel helped, but that is now out of the window, What i do now is install a large spring on my excelerator pendal, this has certainly slowed me down especially in low speed zone areas. where it is so easy to speed just by nudging the pedal in modern cars
I may be treading on the fine line here but as we are on the road near everyday and know the lay of our land, why can't we have an exclusion clause on our licence... as in .. Sorry officer, its just.. i have to get to this job urgently otherwise (bla. bla) and i let the vehicle run out to 120k/hr in the 100 zone.. (officer) Oh, i see you have this "dribble" on your licence, .. and he lets you go with a warning. What? Am i daydreaming?.. mike.;)

Lman
22-10-2010, 11:25 PM
i understand wiltshire have now stopped the option of this course but i also believe they are doing away with their fixed cameras

r.bartlett
23-10-2010, 06:10 AM
Maybe not; I was in the 36mph class and others were in a 40 or 40+ class. They didn't get a coffee break. :D
The SAC is only availabe for those up to 9 miles over the limit. Those in the 40 class were caught in a 40 zone doing up to 49