PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Copeland comp/kelvinator freezer

nicehitsam
19-10-2010, 05:24 PM
A Friend ask me to check Freezer(kelvinator T80lsp-4) The coil was icing over due to bad defrost time it would not cycle and no cash to replace it I told them to cycle it manually for the time being to defrost freezer, Now the compressor(Copeland semi hermatic KAJB-007E-IAA-800) will not start, when I turn on temp control for freezer the fan runs at cond no compressor and I notice the compressor gets warm so I shut it off.there are no open windings at the comp or any shorts.the klixon thermal protection had .3 ohm of resistance.Where do I go from here?

FEISTY
22-10-2010, 03:43 AM
Without using an analyzer to take place of start components, I would get a set of electricals...relay, start and/or run capacitors and overload. You can remove wiring from compressor terminals and ohm out to verify no open circuit. You can also do same test to overload to make sure it is closed and , if ok , save the cost. I change all parts at same time to be sure. Without knowing operational history or age of compressor it's hard to give any more advice. Put a clamp-on amprobe on compressor at start and see what it pulls to start and as it runs...hopefully. Check body tag for RLA specs. Fans running shows temp control calling for power but problem is isolated to compressor. By the way check that you are getting proper voltage to compressor and relay. Good luck. Let us know where you stand.

nicehitsam
09-11-2010, 03:43 PM
OK Feisty, I measured 20 amps and 35 amp draw with meter, Lra and RLA were 10.4 and 59.8 amps I ohmed out comp terminals and had 2.2 ohm R_S and 1.6 ohm fr S_C and .6 ohm fr C_R and no grounded wiring fr terminals to comp so I changed all elecircal start components. Now, the fans are not running when i call for cooling and I measured only 80 volts fr start to common at comp , would i have the relay wired wrong? I have info on potential relay and will check tahts its not connected wrong.

powell
10-11-2010, 02:48 AM
nice,

First you should know that the compressor is not the original. The (-800) at the end of the model number denotes that it was sold by a Copeland wholesaler. So there has been problems in the past.

Next, the maximum suction pressure for this compressor using R404A is around 17 lbs. Anything higher could cause it to shut off on overload and/or not start and short cycle.

I suspect you have the leads of the fan motor wired to (1) and (2) and the power source wired to (R) and (2).

Terminal (1) is a dummy terminal for wiring in a control such as a LPC or Temp. control.

nicehitsam
11-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Powell thanks for response, I have moved any wiring inside cabinet at evaporator the fans would come on when I called for cooling before I replaced all start components for compressor.I do have 112 volts at compressor between R-S windings, i believe I have relay wired correctly, The condenser was oiled and dust covered beyond belief It's now cleaned, are you saying that I have the fan motor wired to 1 and 2 on the start relay

nicehitsam
11-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Powell, I have one lead from the SC to terminal 1 on relay.the other lead from SC going to R. Terminal 2 of relay is going to S on compressor and terminal 5 on relay is going to C on compressor and L1., would vthis be correct?

powell
12-11-2010, 03:48 AM
Powell, I have one lead from the SC to terminal 1 on relay.the other lead from SC going to R. Terminal 2 of relay is going to S on compressor and terminal 5 on relay is going to C on compressor and L1., would vthis be correct?

Yes, that is correct. I think the question is where you have the fan motor wires attached. I've attached a wiring diagram for you. Refer to my original post and verify the condenser fan motor is wired correctly to the terminal plate.

nicehitsam
12-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Powell, my bad in my original post when I said "when I turn on temp control for freezer the fan runs at condenser", I meant to say the fans run at the evaporator and now they are not running when I call for cooling. The leads of the cond fan are connected to a contact terminal strip

powell
12-11-2010, 10:42 PM
If the evap motors are running on start up/defrost ending then you need to check the 2 wire fan delay switch or 3 wire defrost/fan switch.

nicehitsam
18-11-2010, 03:16 PM
if the evap motors are running on start up/defrost ending then you need to check the 2 wire fan delay switch or 3 wire defrost/fan switch.
would you have a wire diagram for this unit cannot read diagram thats online. I took the head off of compressor and found pistns to siezed up got them to move about 1 1/2 inch both ways( up and down) reconnected head and called for cooling pistons pulled down and locked up again, i beleive i need a new compressor, any ideas on what a remanufactured one would cost and could i trade in my core?

powell
18-11-2010, 06:02 PM
would you have a wire diagram for this unit cannot read diagram thats online. I took the head off of compressor and found pistns to siezed up got them to move about 1 1/2 inch both ways( up and down) reconnected head and called for cooling pistons pulled down and locked up again, i beleive i need a new compressor, any ideas on what a remanufactured one would cost and could i trade in my core?
Just call your local Copeland wholesaler, they can help.