PDA

View Full Version : Cutting open sealed units to enable repairs.

kiamaian
19-10-2010, 11:09 AM
I have posted about my problems with two brand new sealed unit compressors that have locked rotors.

It occurred to me that I have the option of opening the sealed units to find out why they are seized. In the old days sealed units were regularly opened, repaired and welded back together.

I have not done it personally but I have the opportunity now as I don't feel like dumping two brand new compressors.

Perhaps I could use an angle grinder to cut the cases open and get a professional welder to weld them up again.

Has any one got any experience in this regard?

chemi-cool
19-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Never ever use a grinder to open sealed compressor if you want to reuse it, The grinder is made of aluminum oxide and this with the burned steel powder, will coat all the internal parts and there is no chance on earth that it will work again.

The right way is to use a vertical lathe with a small circular HSS saw and slowly cut the welding around using a lot of coolant.

So you've opened it, where are going to get parts from?

The only thing you can repair is the electrics and all that messing around with it will cost more than a pallet of compressors....unless of course you don't have anything better to do.

Good luck and post some pictures from your experiments.

frank
19-10-2010, 06:02 PM
This guy has cut open 100's of compressors :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF4Ta1_-HUg&feature=related

chemi-cool
19-10-2010, 07:08 PM

Cut, yes, repair is another story.

mikeref
20-10-2010, 12:07 AM

Interesting video. In the case of a seized/burnt out compressor, i can't see how it would be economical to start on repairs. Where would replacement parts come from? I've taken apart vehicle a/c compressors for display only.. mike

frank
20-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Mike/Chemi......
Tongue in cheek link for you enjoyment. :)

GHAZ
20-10-2010, 10:05 PM
hi i used to cut can compressors in pakistan with an angle grinder, i made a turn table and fixed up right arm and attached the grinder to it ,on the cans where they been welded before ,if you cut just below the weld line ,you will get a clean cut and no metal particles will enter inside the compressor because when cans are manufactured they a double wall and the top half sits on the outside edge .

chilliwilly
20-10-2010, 11:30 PM
You would also have to be bang on with reassembling the pot. The position of the top would have to be rewelded as an open butt joint.

Scrap it and replace it, it'll only keep biting you on your arse if you attempt to repair it.

mikeref
21-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Mike/Chemi......
Tongue in cheek link for you enjoyment. :)
Hah!, though i have heard of new compressors being opened to reduce the movement of mounting springs for mobile use.. as in running on mains power when not travelling. Fact or fiction, i don't know.. mike.