PDA

View Full Version : wine tank cooling jackets

cma
19-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any idea's on cooling jackets for wine tanks. Have a winery here that's looking for alternatives to poly roll external jackets(poly tube wrapped around the tank) . They don't want to install the stainless steel dimple jackets due to the expense. Running -6 c brine (ethanol mix). Does anyone know of anything else on the market. Cheers.

chemi-cool
19-10-2010, 04:00 PM
You are talking about white wine.

Its a typical mistake of winery's, they save a cent on the tank and spend a dollar on the energy.

My best solution for you is something I have done in small scale.

I took a used vertical milk tank - 2000L with direct expansion unit, they even used the agitator once in a while.

The results were very good, wine wise and energy saving.
They just have to change the way they thinking.:)

Magoo
19-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Hi CMA.
I've seen a small winery cheep start up with a sparge header around the top and trough at the bottom, running a flim of chilled water down the outside of wine silo. suffered from a lot dust collection and evaporation. The following season they fitted dimple plates on outside and insulated silos

cma
20-10-2010, 12:20 AM
thanks for the reply, but they want to refurbish 30 tanks.

Magoo
20-10-2010, 12:44 AM
Hi CMA
can only suggest a restackable PHE on each silo, with the glycol being the primary coolant, agitation in each silo, and pumps etc., Insulate the silos as well.

Magoo
20-10-2010, 12:58 AM
CMA
for insulation consider the spray on erothane coating, probably a couple of layers, then seal with a latex / acrylic paint to seal insulation. Good for say 4 > 5 years. Make sure there are vents on wine side and vacuum releifs as well. After the grape crush and the first ferment you could get wine blowing out if not cooled quick enough, plus when pumping out the silo a vacuum break will stop the silo from collapsing/ crushing. Add suppourt rings, structual around the outside of silo.