PDA

View Full Version : Company Background?

nomiracle
13-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Hi,
I recently started a thread 'Desperate to work' in hope of getting a foothold in the industry.
I've been offered a job today via 'cold calling' on a local company and I'm a little concerned as they interviewed me there and then for a total of five minutes before telling me i can start straight away.

The wage is less than i'm on now but i did expect this considering my lack of experience so thats not really an issue although I haven't been told anything else about the job re: pensions, holidays and healthcare due to my not wanting to change their mind!

With my current job i do get all of the above and i am concerned over whether i'm jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
Its a vicious circle as I want to work for a refrigeration company but don't want to be out of work in 3 months due to not checking out the company first.

My reason for starting this thread?

Assuming some members of this forum are familiar with this company would it be unfair to post the companies name in this thread to get feedback on them?

frank
13-07-2005, 09:09 PM
As it wasn't me that interviewed you and so it won't be my company - i say go ahead and name names :D

I've lost tools out of the van this week to persons unknown :( so I don't have much more to lose this week :)

nomiracle
13-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Ok,

It's Refrigeration Concept Ltd of Humber Street Grimsby, anyone heard of/dealt with them?

:confused:

frank
13-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Here's a link to their details. http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/719dc9affac7eb43d52b3d2a6d90541d//compdetails

If they have been going since 1985 they must be doing something right, although they are listed as equipment renters not refrigeration contractors :confused:

What the information doesn't tell you is how they treat their employees ;)

Why don't you spend a pound and see how they stand financially?

nomiracle
13-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Thanks for that, yea they seem to be ligitimate as a company but as you say they could be the employers from hell!
The other thing is you say that they're down as equipment renters and I'm now going to come across as very stupid as I 'cold called' them in a hurry whilst out working, I knew that they were there and had been meaning to call them for a couple of weeks but when i called today i didn't notice any company sign displaying a name just a couple of their vans outside which were sign written but when i got outside they'd gone so i never took the name.

I've searched for companies down the same road and thats where i came up with Refrigeration Concepts but I'm not entirely sure it's the same company.

Also the place is on the corner of Humber Street and Riby Street but again a search through both of these only came up with the above.

Doh!

I will be going there tomorrow to establish this!

In the meantime does anyone know of a Refrigeration Company on the corner of Humber Street and Riby Street in Grimsby?

nomiracle
14-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Hi,
Just an update, the company is called Refrigeration Engineering Services (R.E.S on the vans)

If anyone has anything they can share with me on this I would be more than grateful.

Thanks.

Argus
14-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Hi,

The wage is less than i'm on now but i did expect this considering my lack of experience so thats not really an issue although I haven't been told anything else about the job re: pensions, holidays and healthcare due to my not wanting to change their mind!

Why not ask them?
They seem more keen to get you on board than you are.

________
marijuana pictures (http://trichomes.org)

Krups
14-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by: nomiracle

mate, i was in exactly the same boat as you, took me a gud few weeks before i even found out about how i was going to get paid as they didnt even take any details from me not even next of kin etc...
as for pensions,holidays,healthcare = non existant in my case.
but its about a year later and im still here...just about getting by for the time being... :eek:

frank
14-07-2005, 08:20 PM
This name does not appear on the companies house website so it isn't a limited company. http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/b9a6da27b84745c4c8079d349d116d01//companysearch?disp=res&frfsh=1121368682#result

Have a look for yourself.

nomiracle
14-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks for that krups, well I've gave my notice in today and I start with them in a months time after one of my college tutors called me to say he'd been asked for a reference.

He'd worked for them for the past seven years prior to teaching and couldn't speak more highly of them.

Bit of background on them:

They cover just about anything from small split office air con to large ammonia plants and apparantly they've just finished a 2 year contract in Russia. They've got ongoing work in the shetlands and Ireland as well as the U.K. including a lot of local air con and some supermarkets (unsure which ones at this stage)

Frank I checked the link you gave me and there is an entry for REFRIGERATION ENGINEERING LIMITED It's probably not the same one but if they're not a limited company is that a bad thing? My tutor has worked all over Europe with them so I know they exist as a company but obviously I don't know personally how my time with them is going to be!
As i say I've now put my notice in and so all I can do is give it 110% and if I get nothing back then design a plan B!

Thanks to Frank, Argus and Krups for your feedback so far.

frank
14-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Let us know how it turns out - and good luck in your new venture :)

Krups
14-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Let us know how it turns out - and good luck in your new venture :)

likewise :D

nomiracle
15-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks for your help folks and yes I'll let you know how I'm getting on.

Regards;
Mark. :)

Gwyn
19-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Interesting read!
All I can say is good luck to you, and I mean that in good faith mate. We all have to take a risk at some time in our lives so just go with the flow, I you have any question after starting then you can suss them out as well and stay if you still want to! Or if you think your better than the average engineer that you should never be out of a job in the trade.

Again good luck in you future.

Gwyn
(by the way I am looking for an engineer anybody interested give me a bell ********North Wales area)

The Viking
19-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Gwyn,
My guess is that he has it well sussed out by now.

This tread is 2 years old.

Gwyn
21-07-2007, 10:52 PM
woops sorry mate! did not read the small print. at my age, eye site goes as well!

expat
22-07-2007, 10:39 PM
I did exactly the same thing: looked at the month and not the year.

Cheers Viking:)

darrenbrabben36
25-05-2009, 08:32 PM
hi can anyone recomend any company that are recruiting at the moment im from grimsby

tony--1
25-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Why put this on a 2 year old post ?