PDA

View Full Version : 12v problem

paulo
12-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Hi, I have just purchased a vauxhall rascal chiller / freezer van. The van is fitted with a 'sanden' 12v unit model No.YCU 318LN9, refrigerant 502. Is it possible to fit the van with a 240v mains supply for overnight freeze as well as keeping the 12v for day us. I am looking for the easiest option. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Brian_UK
12-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Do we assume that the compressor is driven by the engine?

If it is then I don't think that you can drive it from the mains supply.

If it isn't then you could perhaps fit a 240/12 transformer of some sort to power the unit.

Argus
12-07-2005, 04:41 PM

Brian?s right, but I hope that you got it cheap.

R502 is a CFC / HCFC blend. As such it is now banned in the EU.

This means that you can use the equipment, but not service it (i.e. refill after a leak).

Well, not legally anyway. If conversion to another non chlorinated refrigerant is possible, with a small unit like this one, it may well cost more than the thing is worth.

________
RG250 (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_RG250)

Peter_1
12-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Can be refileld with a drop in or fit just a new compressor in case of. Price of a compressor can't be compared against the price of a complete van.

benijoseph
12-07-2005, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=paulo]Hi, I have just purchased a vauxhall rascal chiller / freezer van. The van is fitted with a 'sanden' 12v unit model No.YCU 318LN9, refrigerant 502. :D

Mr,polo,
If Iam not wrong sanden 12v unit seems to be rotory compressor belt driven with van engine , If there is
belt and a pulley on compressor it means 12v is a magnetic clutch to start the compressor , you can contact any vechicle mechanic to determine the same.DONT TRY TO CONNECT IT TO 240 /12VAC TRANSFORMER , it requires 12v DC ,It is only for MAGNETIC clutch,

with kind regards,
beni joseph,

Brian_UK
12-07-2005, 10:05 PM
IT's OK Beni, I think he wants to drive the compressor via 240v, as you know powering up the clutch won't do a thing on its own.

Temprite
13-07-2005, 01:02 PM

Brian’s right, but I hope that you got it cheap.

R502 is a CFC / HCFC blend. As such it is now banned in the EU.

This means that you can use the equipment, but not service it (i.e. refill after a leak).

Well, not legally anyway. If conversion to another non chlorinated refrigerant is possible, with a small unit like this one, it may well cost more than the thing is worth.

Hello Argus.
Surely you could put 408a in after a leak.(Assuming you reclaimed the gas).

paulo
13-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Hi, thank you so far for your thoughts. I can run the engine without engaging the freezer, the freezer can be switched on and off from a control box on the dashboard, does this make it any clearer. I cant see anything attached to the engine as it is very small and under the seats.
Many thanks
Paulo

Snowman123
13-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Its selfcontained unit compressor and drive motor together, 12v bypasses the transfomer when the van is running to bring on 12v comp. 240volt goes via the transformer to the comp when van not in use say at night. Last one i done was on a Transit van little hubbard unit on the roof. Had the motor and comp on the roof with condensor. Very good idea very short pipe run. Takes about 1/2 KG aprox of r502. :)

paulo
21-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Hi, I consulted a mechanic and after him looking at the engine he confirmed the freezer unit is belt driven by the engine with the magnetic clutch. So is there anything I can do to drive the freezer unit overnight on 240v ?
Many thanks
Paulo

botrous
21-07-2005, 11:19 AM
hmmmm
the unit is belt driven by the engine , the 12v is for the clutch . . . no real and effective idea are coming to miy minde to help with that . . . .
Let me say and correct me if i'm wrong ...
12v for the clutch , the poulie is engaged , the engine rotation rotates the compressor . . . same as a car A/C .....

Same thing , no ideasss :( . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

the only idea that's passing through my mind and i think it's virtual , is to fit an ac 240 motor with another poulie and a transformer with a redresser for the 12v clutch no no i'm getting crazy