PDA

View Full Version : Standard operating procedure

mufcmy
14-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Hello guys,

I'm new here. Hope to get help from fellow engineers.

I've a question to ask. Recently our customer submitted a complaint regarding our supplied chlorine gas have contaminated with refrigerant R-22. To do a thorough inspection such as leak test need us to shut down our system and we can't afford to do that as the demand currently is high. Therefore, I would like to know what are the standard operating procedure to follow in order to monitor the refrigerant amount in the system as low as possible? As currently we don't have any SOP for that.

Thanks in advance.

Brian_UK
14-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Can you explain more about the process that you are working with?

mufcmy
15-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Can you explain more about the process that you are working with?

Brian,
Our main process is Chlor-alkali process and one of our product is Cl2 gas. We had to liquefied the chlorine gas for our stock and also to supply to pulp making at higher pressure.

mufcmy
15-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Also, our refrigeration system is two phase system. We have low and high pressure compression system.

mufcmy
15-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Sorry not 2 phase, is was 2 stages compression system.

RANGER1
15-10-2010, 11:14 AM
I think obviously you have a n R22 leak in evaporator , probably 2nd stage .
Apart from leaking R22 your biggest danger is if chlorine pressure is ever higher than R22 system & enters fridge side you will have a minor possibly major catastrophie keeping fridge side running & the repairs to it .

You need to clarify leak ASAP & rectify .
R22 levels/pressures should be maintained to prevent above happening but there is no guarantee of the leak not getting any bigger at any time .

What type of heat exchanger do you have that the chlorine/R22 could come
contact with each other ? shell & tube ?

mufcmy
16-10-2010, 04:20 AM
I think obviously you have a n R22 leak in evaporator , probably 2nd stage .
Apart from leaking R22 your biggest danger is if chlorine pressure is ever higher than R22 system & enters fridge side you will have a minor possibly major catastrophie keeping fridge side running & the repairs to it .

You need to clarify leak ASAP & rectify .
R22 levels/pressures should be maintained to prevent above happening but there is no guarantee of the leak not getting any bigger at any time .

What type of heat exchanger do you have that the chlorine/R22 could come
contact with each other ? shell & tube ?

Ranger,
Thanks for the input. Yes we r using shell n tube type.

For now we knew that there was a leak somewhre at the evaporator. Howevr due to no shut down at this moment, we can't rectify the problem. So at this moment we only have to make sure that the chlorine will not enter the fridge side if that what u meant?

RANGER1
16-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Yes otherwise the contamination will cause high than normal condensing pressures as well as severe oil contamination .

The chemical reaction could cause brass or copper to deteriorate rapidly if there is any present .

mufcmy
21-10-2010, 03:27 AM
Yes otherwise the contamination will cause high than normal condensing pressures as well as severe oil contamination .

The chemical reaction could cause brass or copper to deteriorate rapidly if there is any present .

Is there any suitable ***** indicator that can be used for this case?

taz24
21-10-2010, 04:58 PM

Yes there is but belive it or not one of the components that is used to identify the leak is the Chlorine in the refrigerant.

R22 has a small amount of Chlorine in it and that is one of the indicators that are used to locate the leak.

Your gas being used is Chlorine so trying to find a leak using standard leak detection could prove problematic to say the least.

Pressure testing will be the only sure fire way of prooving if the system is gas tight.

Why do you suspect a leak??

Are you having to add refrigerant on a regular basis to maintain correct temps??

All the best

taz

taz24
21-10-2010, 05:15 PM

Not knowing the answer to your question I looked it up.

Certain leak detectors use a heated diode and will detect :-

All CFC, HCFC and HFC refrigerants, including R-12, R-22, R-123,
R-134a and blends R-404a, R-408A, R-409A and R-410A (i.e. any
refrigerant containing Chlorine, Fluorine or Bromine gas)

Hope that helps

taz

coolhibby1875
21-10-2010, 09:28 PM
talk about going over your head!

taz24
21-10-2010, 09:48 PM
talk about going over your head!

Who me ??

I was replying to the guys thread??

I do not pretend to know all the answers so I looked up a solution to his problem.

Do you sugest an alternative or a better answer?

taz

mufcmy
05-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Yes there is but belive it or not one of the components that is used to identify the leak is the Chlorine in the refrigerant.

R22 has a small amount of Chlorine in it and that is one of the indicators that are used to locate the leak.

Your gas being used is Chlorine so trying to find a leak using standard leak detection could prove problematic to say the least.

Pressure testing will be the only sure fire way of prooving if the system is gas tight.

Why do you suspect a leak??

Are you having to add refrigerant on a regular basis to maintain correct temps??

All the best

taz

We suspect a leak because we had to add refrigerant almost regular basis to maintain the temps. This had affecting our chlorine liquid production as well. But due to no shut down time available for us until the end of year,what we can do is to monitor the refrigerant contamination to the chlorine line.

I got one more question to ask. How possible that the refrigerant will go into the chlorine line while the chlorine line pressure is higher than the refrigerant? It give me quite a headache to figure this out. Appreciate if could give me a technical opinion about this since I don't have much experience about refrigeration system.

mufcmy
05-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Not knowing the answer to your question I looked it up.

Certain leak detectors use a heated diode and will detect :-

All CFC, HCFC and HFC refrigerants, including R-12, R-22, R-123,
R-134a and blends R-404a, R-408A, R-409A and R-410A (i.e. any
refrigerant containing Chlorine, Fluorine or Bromine gas)

Hope that helps

taz

Thanks for the input.