PDA

View Full Version : Air to air Source Heat Pump DIY Design Help

jones_d56
14-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Hi I am new here, and i guess a little cheeky, so please be gentle!

I have a quite large garage at home here in the UK its approx 10m * 8m where I am tinkering on some old cars, its starting to get colder... the roof and walls are reasonably well insulated but the floors cast concrete and cold just like the metal cars are...
I also have a small unused greenhouse next to it.

I want to build a cheap (if there is such a thing!) DIY air to air source heat pump and site the intake inside it to pull a little extra heat out of the green house etc over the ambiant air temp... to raise the freezing air temp to at least a two jumper level! in the mid winter.

Has anyone got any helpful thoughts or easy to build plans using readily available economic parts? which a competent tinkerer could deal with?

Many thanks for any help

David

mad fridgie
14-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Buy a window rattler, you cound not even buy half the parts for the price of a manufactured unit!!!

dimebolt
14-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Agree, window rattler perfect for that situation.

desA
14-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Jolly good idea.

jones_d56
14-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the replies...
I am still hopeing that I can perhaps find something to adapt? if i can if not i will perhaps build a couple of multifuel burners or something... you see I am the sort of person who simply likes tinkering!
I built simple diy type solar water collectors which feed under the mass sand / concrete floors in the house. I pulled up the raised timber floors and lined the space with EPS and then rammed tons of dry sand around coiled poly pipe to a depth of about 2 1/2 feet which starts to warm up around mid late summer and seperate then a top coil on the concrete which runs from the boiler (after being prewarmed by "my" diy collectors... I make parts / tools for the cars... I tend to fix or modify or adapt... i enjoy it...
But I have never "seen" an air to air heat pump in the flesh and am "interested" to understand more and well "tinker"!

Heres hopefull....

desA
14-10-2010, 04:44 PM
But I have never "seen" an air to air heat pump in the flesh and am "interested" to understand more and well "tinker"!

Turn your new window-rattler around & you have precisely that. :D

frank
14-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Buy a window rattler, you cound not even buy half the parts for the price of a manufactured unit!!!
Most of the window rattlers I have come across are not designed to work below 19C ambient in cooling. Can't say that I've worked on one that is a heat pump though.

Fujitsu UK do them http://www.fujitsu-general.co.uk/aircon/pdfs/updates/Window_2pp.pdf

Will cool when the ambient is above 21C and heat down to 0C - might work if it's always above 0C in your green house but for a 10x8 garage I would use 2 x rated at 4.3kW