PDA

View Full Version : Indoor unit lower than outdoor unit

Hotzenplotz
13-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Hello everybody

I intend to let me install a Split Air conditioning system. I have 45cm (18 inch) thick Stone walls. Before drilling there, I would prefer they will take the small hole above the ceiling which already exists. Well, I don't trust any expert anymore since I have been "burned" with other projects on my house and I would like to hear your opinion.

The split system is intended to heat not to cool. So most time the inside unit will work as the condenser. In a fridge, the condensed refrigerant can flow downwards back to the compressor. In my setup, it has to "flow" upwards. When studying about it, I would think, after heating for a while, the condensor may be blocked by liquid refrigerant.
Because the system should work energy efficient as possible my question is: Will this "upward drain" affect the efficiency of the device seriously? What about the oil in the system? Will it go upward too?
Forgive my perhaps simple question. Would be nice to hear your opinion whether to drill that 45cm hole or not.
Regards
Hotzenplotz

james10
13-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Shouldn't cause you any problems as long as the unit is capable of this set up (look at Daikin systems) and is installed correctly

acnerd
13-10-2010, 06:58 PM
As James10 says, units are designed to take this into account.
All units come with an installation manual where it states your maximum height differences between indoor and outdoor units. As long as you don't go over these limits, you will be ok.

I would check what unit you want and compare it to the install layout you propose, just to make sure .... before you drill big holes!!

chemi-cool
13-10-2010, 07:03 PM
There are no problem to install an AC unit with the condensing unit higher then the indoor unit.

some manufacturers can run in over 20M hight difference.

The oil will not stay at the lower unit, it will circulate with the refrigerant.

You got it wrong, in a fridge, the refrigerant cant go back to the compressor.
Refrigerant migrates to cold side.

Good luck with the drilling....

Aircondmech
17-10-2010, 03:53 AM
If you are really worried, simply fit an oil trap.

Andrey 69
17-10-2010, 06:26 AM
I saw the air conditioner LG 09. It has indoor unit hanging below the outer 10 meters. Air conditioner worked more than a year, then went down the compressor. However, most air conditioners that are installed with a slight difference in altitude are functioning normally. Even without an "oil lifting loops" :)

edresabdul
17-10-2010, 09:07 AM
you dont have to think about the proposed height of your unit, the difference is still in the limit. At least 7 meters is tolerable. Actually in your situation im afraid of the heat pump. Usually it does not last long.

Hotzenplotz
18-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Hello everybody

My son got teeth and on the construction site was a lot to do. Sorry for my late comment.

It seems from your comments I can take the upper hole. No need to drill...Muuuch easier.

But the comment of edresabdul :
"Actually in your situation im afraid of the heat pump. Usually it does not last long."

Hu? Only advertisement? Do they break down fast in heat pump mode?