PDA

View Full Version : Top Freezer not freezing

bugoy
13-10-2010, 03:12 AM
Hello all,

I'm trying to troubleshoot and locate the problem with my refrigerator.

Frigidaire Company
Model: MRT17DRBW2

The top Freezer started to loose cold and ice are melting.

Things i've checked:
1) Back coils is cleaned free of dust. Not much to vacuum because 5 months ago we cleaned the kitchen.
2) Fan in the freezer is working and running. blowing just cold air.
3) Defrost timer is working. turned the timer until i hear a click and the refrigerator stop and the compressor. It took about 10 to 15mins to start the refrigerator again and compressor started to run also.
4) checked the fan - fan is running and I can feel cool air.
5) door switch is working. lights goes on when I open the door and the light goes off when the door is closed.
6) No leak..
7) drain is not clog - water going down the pan.
8) compressor is running and when i touch it - It's not HOT or Cold.. it's just ok warm.
9) The single controller for cold, warm and power off is working because if I turn the controller power off the refrigerator turns off.

what else can i check?

Any advise please let me know.

Frostyguy
13-10-2010, 03:38 AM
Hello all,

I'm trying to troubleshoot and locate the problem with my refrigerator.

Frigidaire Company
Model: MRT17DRBW2

The top Freezer started to loose cold and ice are melting.

Things i've checked:
1) Back coils is cleaned free of dust. Not much to vacuum because 5 months ago we cleaned the kitchen.
2) Fan in the freezer is working and running. blowing just cold air.
3) Defrost timer is working. turned the timer until i hear a click and the refrigerator stop and the compressor. It took about 10 to 15mins to start the refrigerator again and compressor started to run also.
4) checked the fan - fan is running and I can feel cool air.
5) door switch is working. lights goes on when I open the door and the light goes off when the door is closed.
6) No leak..
7) drain is not clog - water going down the pan.
8) compressor is running and when i touch it - It's not HOT or Cold.. it's just ok warm.
9) The single controller for cold, warm and power off is working because if I turn the controller power off the refrigerator turns off.

what else can i check?

Any advise please let me know.
Residential units, got to love them.
Well it would be nice to have an evap TD, Suction and Discharge pressure, but I'm certain you'll have to break into the system to get the ladder two.
The touch and feel stuff can be miss leading.
> You said you felt compressor.. Did you feel condenser, or liquid line, after coming out of defrost? It would of been loaded up and if your not low on gas and if the compressor is pumping correctly you should be able to feel a better than warm temp. (95-110F+)

> You also said you felt cool air and check time clock. However, where you certain the defrost heaters actually came on, and for that matter shut off? You could still feel, cold but low air flow with an iced up coil.

Unfortunately, if everything you've mentioned checks out you most likely have a failing compressor, low charge, or partial restriction,(most unlikely of the three).

bugoy
13-10-2010, 03:45 AM
> You said you felt compressor.. Did you feel condenser, or liquid line, after coming out of defrost? It would of been loaded up and if your not low on gas and if the compressor is pumping correctly you should be able to feel a better than warm temp. (95-110F+)

Unfortunately, if everything you've mentioned checks out you most likely have a failing compressor, low charge, or partial restriction,(most unlikely of the three).

I just read another article .. it could be the compressor..thanks since now I know that that the compressor should be better than warm temp.

bugoy
13-10-2010, 04:47 AM
Update!!!

After 2 hours.. the compressor is now hotter than before. I can place my finger for only 1 second. But I don't remember should the exterior black coils at the back should also be hot or not?

Could the problem be the thermostat?

Frostyguy
13-10-2010, 05:07 AM
The condenser inlet to those black coils should be warm to hot to the touch. The overall condenser should feel warm throughout.
It doesnt sound like a thermostat at all.
Sounds like your either low on refrigerant or the compressor valves are leaking.

Is the suction line just as it enters the compressor warm to hot? Or discharge line leaving compressor just warm to touch?

Frostyguy
13-10-2010, 05:08 AM
Sounds like your goind to have to break out the guages, and install a couple service ports.