PDA

View Full Version : discharge gauge bouncing?

SkyWalker
07-10-2010, 09:57 PM
hi guys,

i have heard that if you connect your gauges to the high side of a system and needle vibrates between pressures/temps this is a good indication of air/non condensables in the condenser?

is this true? what else could this indicate/not indicate? (gauges proven on other systems/nitro to be o.k)

I mean isit just vibration affecting the needle? gauges not hanging on any metal near comp

I understand how to test for non condensables, was just wondering if i have been given duff info?

RANGER1
07-10-2010, 10:36 PM
SkyWalker ,
I'd be interested like you if this is the case but sounds like rubbish to me .
If air is in system it takes up condensing area at the bottom of condensor ( if aircooled ).
Gauge flutters are most likely due to pulsations from piston compressor or harmonics in pipework .

slingblade
07-10-2010, 11:03 PM
SkyWalker ,
I'd be interested like you if this is the case but sounds like rubbish to me .
If air is in system it takes up condensing area at the bottom of condensor ( if aircooled ).
Gauge flutters are most likely due to pulsations from piston compressor or harmonics in pipework .

Agreed, more cylinders more flutter. an 8 pot unit will send a gauge crazy as all the reeds/discs/whatever bounce once per rev. i have seen a "flutterless TM" gauge go beserk on a scroll though, "liars TM" more like.:)