PDA

View Full Version : Vaccum pum HACK !!!!

AlexLPD
07-10-2010, 04:52 AM
So dears, My name is Alex and I will try to explain something thath bothers me a lot... And an idea thath maybe will do the trick.

When I use my vaccum pump the motor gets hot... well about 70ºC or so, this is aint a problem, however I have seen when i use the pump in continuos use (about 40 min or so) the pump takes wayyy longer to achive the vac, so remeber the hot motor??? its heating the oil!!!
So... one simple and very nice solution for me as an engenieer and hobbyst is to... Make an small coil, and attache an air vent... And a small gear pump, will be moving the oil from the pump to the colding coil... simple and nice... So I have some questions for the kings of the forum:

1.- whath do you think thath will happen?
2.- Is this a mad idea? -of course but how much-
3.- Witch be a nice temperature for avoid or to delay as much as possible the oil turn to molecular flow, decreasign the vaccum capacity.
4.- Dont you love this forum?

So... I hope grab some atention... Keep up the good job...

Animo!!!

NH3LVR
07-10-2010, 01:33 PM
The oil in the pump has to be hot to avoid moisture buildup in the oil. Otherwise you cannot reach low vacuums,

AlexLPD
07-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Ohhh .... I have never think in thath....

RANGER1
07-10-2010, 09:27 PM
The heat may also make pump more efficient with clearances at optimum when it is up to temp .
Best to get it tested with a micron meter if not good needs repairs .

Is it a proper vacuum pump for refrigeration .

It should be able to pull below 100 microns for ***** refrig service .

AlexLPD
11-10-2010, 05:50 AM
Yes Iam agree about a 40ºC but no more... so, my question was, keep the oil between 23 to 40ºC is better than let the oil temperature go up to 85-90ºC....

spinerkop
08-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Take a hammer hold hand down on flat bench, angle thumb towards chest, now strike with hammer! How stupid do you feel now, Heat of oil helps with moisture displacement, please return the tools to supplier and ask for refund!

xxargs
14-11-2010, 02:01 PM
But first - try new/better vacuum pump oil.

Good and clean oil with low vapor pressure and high boiling point is essential to make high vacuum.

if vacum going down on heating up, you have water vapor or/and hydrocarbon vapor from oil itself or solved vapor in oil from early pumping.

oil needs replace with new oil regulary if you want good vacuum.

pick from google : Shell corena oil V 100

---

my old Pfieffer-Balzer high vacuum pump going lower than 0.001 mBar in continious running in around 70-80 degree C state...

So < 100 microns should be easy to recive on even cheap 2-stage vane pump...

DrFreezeMD
01-01-2011, 10:25 PM
I think most would agree, do not do that "Vacuum Pump Hack." A good Vacuum pump is designed for constant operation, for example, leaving vacuum pump on overnight to achieve a very low vacuum. Also I have bought vacuum pumps with a built-in Fan at the end of the motor that serves to keep the aluminum body cooler longer. Always change your Vacuum Pump oil frequently for good ultimate Vacuum. Appion makes one where you can see the clear oil cartridge and the oil is more easily changeable. ;)

charlie patt
02-01-2011, 10:35 AM
what is make of pump i had similar fault with a javac shark i always change oil in pump regular and pump was running to hot i changed pump and left my javac in the unit for car ac and aprox a month later it seized a pump useuall oil temp should be 40 dc depending on ambient just check the fan blade is still on the motor and spining be lucky

AlexLPD
03-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Yes, I will Buy a new one, am thinking in cps rigth know, however still thinking, the oil must have a over-abient temperature, however am not quite convincent thath oil must have so hot, (the molecules get an importan friction loss, therefore degrading the oil, I saw thath on a Discovery chanel documental about... Oils XD), As bein say the good pumps are capables of running all nigth without this problems. XD
Thanks for the attention.

johnnyLaw
06-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Take a hammer hold hand down on flat bench, angle thumb towards chest, now strike with hammer! How stupid do you feel now, Heat of oil helps with moisture displacement, please return the tools to supplier and ask for refund!

I tried this procedure and it worked!!!! Do I still need to ask for a refund. :p

glenn1340
06-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Optimum temperature for most oils is 80c, this allows any moisture to evaporate off but without too high a temperature "cooking it"