PDA

View Full Version : R134a ?

rabbi1991
06-10-2010, 02:35 PM
I have asked my teacher what the a in R134a means. He can't answer and I can't find it on the web. Can anyone answer me or even better link to a page I can read all about it.
All answers thank before
Kv. RS

sedgy
06-10-2010, 03:12 PM
have you on the internet? try google

nike123
06-10-2010, 03:15 PM
http://tinyurl.com/23f46lu (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=refrigerant+nomenclature)

jcook1982
07-10-2010, 06:22 PM
NO offense to Rabbi but Nike what makes you think he knows what a nomenclature is if he doesn't know what the A stands for in R134A.. To be honest after finding the answer below.. I didn't know either... WOOPS I feel dumb now myself.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_the_a_stand_for_in_R134a
The "a" in R134a is an indicator. There are two gases that are similar R134 and R134a. They both have the same chemical make up which is 2 hydrogen, 2 carbon and 4 fluorine. However in R134 all of the elements stay seperated in a gaseous state. In R134a the elements combine together in different ways. Two hydrogens can be bonded with 4 fluorines or 2 carbons with 4 fluorines, etc. Lower case letters are the "organization" of the molecules and upper case letters are the different blends of the refridgerant.

rabbi1991
13-10-2010, 11:56 AM
I had no idea of what nomeclatur but now I kinda think I do. It's very hard trying to translate from icelandic to english some of those words. And thank you alot Jcook1982

nike123
13-10-2010, 07:34 PM
I had no idea of what nomeclatur but now I kinda think I do. It's very hard trying to translate from icelandic to english some of those words. And thank you alot Jcook1982

Hi rabbi!

In my language, "nomenclature" means same as in English.
Situation like that we call here as "načitanost", which mean, in description, as that you need to read many books to express yourself as you should. ;)
I did not mean in any way to be disrespectful to you.

mizun
01-01-2011, 12:22 PM
The "A" stands for what it is written - "A" which means this is just a start and if there is any improvement we will call it "B" and so on. Normally when we invent/discover a system we suffix it with 1,2 and so on. Like we have WD-40 which means "Water Displacement -40" (40th formula). Since the Gas is specified by numbers, to avoid confusion alphabets were used to start a chain.

monkey spanners
01-01-2011, 12:32 PM
The "A" stands for what it is written - "A" which means this is just a start and if there is any improvement we will call it "B" and so on. Normally when we invent/discover a system we suffix it with 1,2 and so on. Like we have WD-40 which means "Water Displacement -40" (40th formula). Since the Gas is specified by numbers, to avoid confusion alphabets were used to start a chain.

Hi Mizun,

There is a difference between upper and lower case letters in refrigerant designation, upper case such as 'A,B,C,D' signify a blend with a glide, with B having more glide than A and so on.
The small 'a' signifies a version of the refrigerant as you stated, but with no glide as its not a blend.

Jon :)