PDA

View Full Version : Connection and Disconnection of Gauges

Xeomus_Aevis
05-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Im getting confused with the 'correct' way to connect and disconnect a set of gauges. Im not too sure wether its best to have the system running or off? Please help!:rolleyes:

sedgy
05-10-2010, 06:15 PM
hi xeomus, if you back seat the discharge valve, and with the charging line< middle< line connected to a bottle, open both gauge valves and all will equilise to the suction psi, then back seat the suction valve, to go one better , if you have the pisilities to pump down the system before you back seat the suction valve
a lot of tecs use the quick coupling on the end of the gauge lines but the gas that is trapped in the gauges usually just escapes,

james10
05-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Ideally the system is better not running as this reduces the pressure your exposing yourself to,
the method i prefer is to use line with ball valves
1 close high side ball valve
2 open manifold to let pressure from the high side to the low side
3 rub lines to warm refrigerant and remove as much as possible from lines
4 close low side ball valve
5 disconnect both lines

Brian_UK
05-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Just to add a third option... assuming that you have ball valves or a quick connector on the high side..

Shut the high side ball valve (disconnect quick connector), open the high and low valves on the manifold to reduce the line/gauge pressures back to the lower suction pressure.

Close valves on manifold and then disconnect from the low side.

frank
06-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Just to add a third option... assuming that you have ball valves or a quick connector on the high side..

Shut the high side ball valve (disconnect quick connector), open the high and low valves on the manifold to reduce the line/gauge pressures back to the lower suction pressure.

Close valves on manifold and then disconnect from the low side.
4th option
As Brian said above but then before you disconnect the low side, put the system into pump down (close the liquid line valve) then disconnect your low side gauge when the pressure reaches 2-3 psig.

Brian_UK
06-10-2010, 10:26 PM
^^ Good point Frank ^^

pwned
07-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Do they have special manifold gauges with very small inner diameter hoses for use with systems that only holds 250g of refrigerant at most, like home refrigerator?

Xeomus_Aevis
07-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Cheers Fellas,

Sorry i never got back to any of you, my college work has been hectic!

I appreciate all you explained to me though!

So thanks again

Xeomus :)