PDA

View Full Version : Daikin VRV 3 pipe heat recovery system

Steve Payne
05-10-2010, 01:53 PM
I am a developer who has no technical knowledge looking for assistance as the installer has gone bust and left me with a defect on the installation.

An internal cassette unit on the system is making a lot of noise when it changes from heating to cooling. Mainly gurgling sounds with some hissing. This goes on for some time and my client has raised it as an issue. There are a total of 10 cassette units on the system on 2 floors with 2 outside units.

I have had a Daikin engineer out to look at the fault and they have connected a laptop to try and find the fault without and conclusive result.

When restarting the outdoor units a F6 fault is highlighted but the gas charge levels are OK.

I am not sure what the acceptable dBA level is for a cassette units so this information would also be helpful.

If anyone can assist I would be very grateful.

Thanks Steve

Eng.a7mad
05-10-2010, 07:21 PM
hi i hope i can help,
F6: outdoor unit refrigeration is over charged.
Another supposed causes:

1. Misalignment of the outside air thermistor.
2. Misalignment of the heat exchanging deicer thermistor.
3. Misalignment of the liquid pipe thermistor.

hint contact your dealer to send his crew to solve this problem not u.

james10
05-10-2010, 08:39 PM
What series is the system the older M type branch selector boxes do make some noise the newer p series have been foam filled to lower noise levels, the noise normally happens when the unit changes modes ie heating to cooling

ktm
05-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Yea you can Diakin to do a soft wear upgrade on the bs boxs. This solved a noise problem I had before. Not sure if it will do much for an indoor. How do u know the charge is OK?

Steve Payne
06-10-2010, 09:27 AM
hi i hope i can help,
F6: outdoor unit refrigeration is over charged.
Another supposed causes:

1. Misalignment of the outside air thermistor.
2. Misalignment of the heat exchanging deicer thermistor.
3. Misalignment of the liquid pipe thermistor.

hint contact your dealer to send his crew to solve this problem not u.

Thanks for the advice, I will contact Daikin for their comments

Steve Payne
06-10-2010, 09:32 AM
What series is the system the older M type branch selector boxes do make some noise the newer p series have been foam filled to lower noise levels, the noise normally happens when the unit changes modes ie heating to cooling

The reference number for the BS-Box is BSVQ100-250P8B. The problems is as you suggest when it changes from heating to cooling and vice versa. My client (the end user) is turning off the unit when using the room as it is too noisey. Unfortunately it is the board room!

Steve Payne
06-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Yea you can Diakin to do a soft wear upgrade on the bs boxs. This solved a noise problem I had before. Not sure if it will do much for an indoor. How do u know the charge is OK?

Daikin appear to be taking a very non-committal approach. However, I will contact them to ask if this software upgrade is a possible solution. With regard to the charge, Daikin have calculated the charge and this has been confirmed by the replacement Daikin approved engineers that I have used so far. That said, they did confirm that the charge was something like 0.4 or 0.5kg over so would this cause the F6 fault? I should add that the replacement engineer did move a BS Box that they said was too close to the cassette and then re-charged the system. I do not know if the F6 fault was showing before this was done?

ktm
06-10-2010, 12:50 PM
No that much over shouldn't realy cause any problem. I'm sure who ever moved the box pressure tested so I would assume that the charge is correct. U could b stuck with replacing bsv boxs as u cannot replace the valves inside them. The noise comes from gas passing through the valves as it changes mode. Very interested to see how u get on.

AbsoluteWDJ
06-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I am a developer who has no technical knowledge looking for assistance as the installer has gone bust and left me with a defect on the installation.

An internal cassette unit on the system is making a lot of noise when it changes from heating to cooling. Mainly gurgling sounds with some hissing. This goes on for some time and my client has raised it as an issue. There are a total of 10 cassette units on the system on 2 floors with 2 outside units.

I have had a Daikin engineer out to look at the fault and they have connected a laptop to try and find the fault without and conclusive result.

When restarting the outdoor units a F6 fault is highlighted but the gas charge levels are OK.

I am not sure what the acceptable dBA level is for a cassette units so this information would also be helpful.

If anyone can assist I would be very grateful.

Thanks Steve

Steve

A couple questions

1. Is this a new install?
2. When was the issue raised?
3. Is the noise coming from cassette or BS boxes?
4. Who commissioned the system and did it pass the test run?
5. You say 'restarting outdoor units highlights F6' does this mean you carry out initialisation and test run? If so check all stop valves are fully open.

AbsoluteWDJ
06-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Daikin appear to be taking a very non-committal approach. However, I will contact them to ask if this software upgrade is a possible solution. With regard to the charge, Daikin have calculated the charge and this has been confirmed by the replacement Daikin approved engineers that I have used so far. That said, they did confirm that the charge was something like 0.4 or 0.5kg over so would this cause the F6 fault? I should add that the replacement engineer did move a BS Box that they said was too close to the cassette and then re-charged the system. I do not know if the F6 fault was showing before this was done?

These boxes tend to create an annoying noise if crossed piped. Just something else to check

james10
06-10-2010, 05:38 PM
The reference number for the BS-Box is BSVQ100-250P8B. The problems is as you suggest when it changes from heating to cooling and vice versa. My client (the end user) is turning off the unit when using the room as it is too noisey. Unfortunately it is the board room!
That bs number is a p series system so the box is a new model i think the box could be faulty does the noise happen all the time or just on mode change over.

Steve Payne
08-10-2010, 10:04 AM
No that much over shouldn't realy cause any problem. I'm sure who ever moved the box pressure tested so I would assume that the charge is correct. U could b stuck with replacing bsv boxs as u cannot replace the valves inside them. The noise comes from gas passing through the valves as it changes mode. Very interested to see how u get on.

I am not an expert but I am sure the noise is coming from the cassette unit

Steve Payne
08-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Steve

A couple questions

1. Is this a new install?
2. When was the issue raised?
3. Is the noise coming from cassette or BS boxes?
4. Who commissioned the system and did it pass the test run?
5. You say 'restarting outdoor units highlights F6' does this mean you carry out initialisation and test run? If so check all stop valves are fully open.

Answers to your questions are:-
1. Yes it is a new install
2. The issue was raised within a few weeks of the client taking occupation of the building. At that time the original installer was still trading and did visit site to investigate. Shortly after they went pop so I had to engage an alternative engineer which Daikin suggested.
3. Noise is coming ffrom the cassette unit.
4. The original installer commissioned and it passed the test run (according to all the paperwork I have).
5. As I understand it the Daikin engineer carried out a full initialisation which took about 45 minutes to complete. I assume that he knew what he was doing and had all values open??? This was done twice to check the fault.

Steve Payne
08-10-2010, 10:13 AM
That bs number is a p series system so the box is a new model i think the box could be faulty does the noise happen all the time or just on mode change over.

Noise only occurs on the change over but does go on for some time

ktm
08-10-2010, 12:41 PM
If it's comming from the unit you could try change the expansion valve? U sure it's a gas noise? U could also swap indoor pcb boards and see if the problem moves could b the board sending faulty signal to the expansion valve. Just throwing out ideas. Hope it helps some how.

ktm
08-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Does the unit operate correctly in heating and cool modes apart from the noise it creates?

1torr
08-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Hi, we have had similar liquid trickling noises from cassettes. Software upgrade to the offending bs box has done the trick.

Mentallist
11-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Hi Steve, if you have "P8" BSVQ boxes, then these will have the latest software and there is no "Upgrade" as people say available and neither is it required. What is the distance from the BSVQ box to the unit, is the advised minimum straight length of 500mm of piping entering and exiting the BS box and to the unit. There maybe contamination from non purged piping clogging either the filter or expansion valve body, therefore expansion valve control/refrigerant control is affected causing gas noise. There are many factors that can cause additional noise, simply blaming the equipment will not necessarily solve your problem. It is highly unlikely that the BSVQ box components have failed, people often make this mistake, and condemn perfectly healthy boxes. Book another site visit from Daikin UK, explain it all in an email so that they have it in writing and can asses further the issue, list all model numbers etc, the more info the better, and they will help. Send your e-mail to the site visit booking address of fieldservice@daikin.co.uk, they will have it assessed and contact you, they will ask for an order for the daily rate. Good Luck, let me know how you get on.

Steve Payne
12-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Does the unit operate correctly in heating and cool modes apart from the noise it creates?

According to Daikin the system is working fine apart from the noise.

Steve Payne
12-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Hi Steve, if you have "P8" BSVQ boxes, then these will have the latest software and there is no "Upgrade" as people say available and neither is it required. What is the distance from the BSVQ box to the unit, is the advised minimum straight length of 500mm of piping entering and exiting the BS box and to the unit. There maybe contamination from non purged piping clogging either the filter or expansion valve body, therefore expansion valve control/refrigerant control is affected causing gas noise. There are many factors that can cause additional noise, simply blaming the equipment will not necessarily solve your problem. It is highly unlikely that the BSVQ box components have failed, people often make this mistake, and condemn perfectly healthy boxes. Book another site visit from Daikin UK, explain it all in an email so that they have it in writing and can asses further the issue, list all model numbers etc, the more info the better, and they will help. Send your e-mail to the site visit booking address of fieldservice@daikin.co.uk, they will have it assessed and contact you, they will ask for an order for the daily rate. Good Luck, let me know how you get on.

Thanks for the advice. I have to say that I have been very impressed with the website and how helpful all you guys have been. When you are in the position of knowing nothing (as I am) it is difficult to believe anything that you are being told so the advice I have received here has been invaluable.

ktm
14-10-2010, 03:02 PM
You sure it's a gas noise? Not backfill from the drain or something simple like that? If it's coming from the indoor has to be something to do with exv . Let us know how u get on.

kouboy
03-11-2010, 08:45 PM
We also have a problem with noisy bsvq boxes. p series.

kouboy
03-11-2010, 08:46 PM
[quote=kouboy;208733]We also have a problem with noisy bsvq boxes. p series.
The are placed in a hotelroom. Distance bsvq100P8V1B to the inside unit FDXQ25 is 2 meters.
The noise is appears when some units are in heating mode and some are in cooling mode. Even when a unit is stoppend the noise in the gaspipe won't go away. The systems ( 3 with 39 fdxq units ) are 1 year old and the problem started the first day. The systems are further working correct. We have replaced a bsvq box, try to isolated it, isolated the pipes, made the distance bigger (8 meters). Notting did't help. Also daikin can not fix the problem so they said. The cause is the bleeding of the hotgas pipe in the bsvq in to the suction pipe. We are using the system like a two pipe system to prevent problems with noise. Setting in the i-manager makes that possible.
Anybody who can solve our problem?