PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to "lock" a Panasonic split-system controller?

Ireland
05-10-2010, 12:02 PM
I've been asked to see if it is possible to "lock" the wall-mounted controller for a Panasonic split.

I haven't called to the site yet but the owner said the controller has Compact Air printed on it so perhaps this may help someone identify it.

The staff in the area can't agree to leave the temperature set and keep adjusting it to the point where they are having arguments over it.

The company who originally installed the units are no longer in business.

Thanks in advance.

I.

monkey spanners
05-10-2010, 02:49 PM
We have a few offices that are run off a central controller, the one in the room does very little ofther than turning the unit on or off but now one has noticed yet...
The manager has access to the temperature setting etc from the main controller.

Maybe you could set the room controller as a slave and mount master out of sight.

Ireland
05-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks.

At present there is just one controller per cassette.

What you've suggested might be an option.

I'll check that out.

Brian_UK
05-10-2010, 08:43 PM
They're not cheap but how about a lockable cover ?

I've found that they last about one to two months before they are removed again.

http://www.securitysafetyproducts.co.uk/security/protective-covers-cages/thermostat-protector-sti-9105.php

Gingerair
05-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Had a similar problem recently with some old Tosh splits, ended up putting the controllers in lockable boxes with perspex fronts & the boss was left in charge of the key...

Maybe someone can help with the manual for your unit to see if it has the option to 'lock' the controller out..

Ginge

Gingerair
05-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Ha ha, you beat me to that one Brian !! :confused:

Ireland
07-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks folks.

He doesn't want to put a physical cover over it though.

Really what I need is to see is if I can activate what is basically a "child lock" function on it.

Is there an on-line source for the users manuals for these?

I've tried various searches and haven't been able to find any.

james10
07-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Talking of lockable covers i had a call out today because it was too cold and they couldn't chang the setting. faulty controller i thought on my way to site. nope locked in a box and no one had the key, big hammer and there you go, one of the easy service calls

moondawn
07-10-2010, 09:30 PM
bet your glad you did not miss swing the hammer and take the remote out as well as the box. especially with people watching.

joe-ice
07-10-2010, 10:23 PM
hi ,i dont think it can be locked but it is possible to set max heat and minimum cooling temps to lock it within acertain range,with unit off press temp up and down buttons together press operation button until heat is displayed,press temp up/down to set max temp,press set button to complete.repeat the process press operation button to cool, set temp buttons to desired lower limit and set to finish.hope this helps

back2space
11-10-2010, 03:28 AM
At our work we fitted a lockable key cabinet and cut the back of the key cabinet out so the controller would fit in.

If the controller isnt lockable this is the only solution and this resolved the issue here of people messing about with it switching it on and off all the time.

Prices from £5.91 on google products: CHeap solution really.

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=key+cabinet&safe=on&scoring=p