PDA

View Full Version : QKL Controllers

dallan
07-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, of using QKL temperature controllers, in particular the MIC mini and the MIC RE.

They are manufactured by Cool Expert in Germany.

chemi-cool
09-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Hi Dalan,
Basically they are all the same, found something on the web, it might help,

http://www.emaccool.be/index/downloads/Control%20Elements%20DOD%20min.pdf

Personally, never heard the name, I only use Dixell and I never had any problems.

Chemi :)

dallan
16-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Chemi, Thanks for the link, it is the same controller rebadged for a different supplier.

It is marketed as the only defrost on demand controller that actually works, offering up 40% savings on energy costs.

I tend to be quite cynical about these energy saving claims but I was thinking about using it to test the operation.

chemi-cool
16-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Hi David,

Electonic controlls can not save energy,

all they can do is open or close a contact and read temp, humidity and pressure.

Unless I have missed something through the years.

dallan
16-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Chemi,

I have to disagree with the statement "Electronic controls cannot save energy". The way in which the controller manipulates the system can save energy.

For example the defrost on demand controller mentioned previously. If for arguments sake you are controlling an evaporator with a 20kW electric defrost load, a dixell controller will probably be set to defrost every 6 hours. The defrost on demand controller has the possiblility to check the requirement for a defrost and may only defrost the evaporator once a day, taken over a year this could be a substantial reduction in costs.

Another range of controllers which I actually have used has an optimisation function on the pack controller, raising the target suction setpoint as long as the coldroom temperatures are ok.

Other controllers will generate an alarm if the defost terminates on time instead of temperature.

David

chemi-cool
16-07-2005, 09:13 PM
I see what you mean,
Didn't think of the defrost,
I set it to terminate on temp, makes it a quick defrost.

Now that I have changed all the cold storage and freezers that I'm servicing so fans do not work when there is no cooling demand, a lot of energy is saved and less ice on the evaporator.
That saves a lot of energy.

dallan
16-07-2005, 09:37 PM
One of the main features of the QKL controllers are the that the fans go off with the cooling. If there is no cooling demand after a certain period (30 minutes I think) the fans will then run for 5 minute to make sure there are no hot spots. One other feature of these controllers when there is a cooling demand the fans will start but the solenoid will not open. This is to check if there is any liquid left in the evaporator, it will then boil this liquid off before it opens the solenoid. Obviously if there is no liquid in the coil the solenoid opens almost immediately.

David

chemi-cool
16-07-2005, 09:47 PM
:) Sounds very good.
I have never heard about them.
I will check if they are available here.

Chemi

Len Fiddler
14-11-2005, 06:14 PM
The QKL control is made by KUBA in Germany. It has to be set up correctly to get the full benefit. Phone 01600 891 010 for assistance Kuba UK

R Stapley
18-02-2006, 04:48 PM
I have had a lot of experiance here in the UK with these controllers and they have proven to be very succesful but do require the right combination of equipment.

They will achieve large Energy Savings with the Patented Defrost Strategy and the Fan Latent Cooling Strategy.

On monitored sites we have seen savings in excess of 20% and up to 40%.

We have sites that extend to 120hrs between Defrosts.

I recently visited Cool Expert and saw the New Units and these are really up dates of the original incorporating the latest technology and some new enhanced features.

If you wish to discuss any points with me then contact me by e-mail kuba.uk@tiscali.co.uk