PDA

View Full Version : Environmental Chamber Design

johnrmckenzie
01-10-2010, 11:10 PM
I need some help specifying a refrigeration system for an environmental test chamber. The test chamber will be based on a 2 person glove box, and allow testing of a medical device inside the box under various extreme environmental conditions. The glove box, made from acrylic sheet, will be supplied with a means to heat it and control humidity, but no means for cooling. The target temperature is 5C, with the ability to hold that temp for up to a week. The box will have 4 glove portals, mostly sealed, and a large viewing window, but otherwise can be insulated. It will generally stay closed and will have an isolating passthru to avoid too much ambient exposure.
A portable AC unit won't get it cold enough, so I have looked at refigeration units for walk in frig/freezers, but those seem overkill. Isn't there and 'off the shelf' solution for something like this?
Thanks,
John

Magoo
02-10-2010, 02:45 AM
Try medical equipment suppliers as they can cater for all and weird type equipment applications. Hugely expensive though, generally.

sterl
05-10-2010, 02:48 PM
This thing need to last a long time or is this a 1-month duration type of experiment?

Short of finding a used lab cooler or even a data center refrig unit: I would rig it up based on ice. Lots of used ice makers out there and in a pinch, a few dinero to the corner convenience store will refill or supplement the "bank". And its all flexible enough to support your next set-up....