PDA

View Full Version : air conditioning noise

tichyt
01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
hi, i was called out to see a job, the problem they were having was the air conditioning was making a noise. i only noticed it inside but i was told the condenser was making it too. what can it be?

because i'm new to this, i ain't got a clue. thanks for any help given.

james10
01-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Was the sound a swooshing sound,
its possible it is the unit changing from heat to cool if its a heat pump in auto setting this happens when the unit shuts down and the reversing valve opens equalising the system pressures

tichyt
01-10-2010, 09:12 PM
i cant explain the noise, sorry. it happens 5mins into the heating mode. the customer says the wall mount sounds and the outside unit can be seen throwing water out via a cloud of water from the fan area.

this is the best i can explain it from the customer point of view.

Brian_UK
01-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Yes, that would be the defrost cycle starting.

I appreciate that you are 'new to this' but is your customer getting their monies worth?

tichyt
02-10-2010, 05:30 PM
i am new, but this isnt my job. im simply helping out a friend. thanks for asking.

NoNickName
02-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Defrosting. Now, why it happens after 5 mins in heating, that's strange.

mikeref
14-10-2010, 04:20 AM
i cant explain the noise, sorry. it happens 5mins into the heating mode. the customer says the wall mount sounds and the outside unit can be seen throwing water out via a cloud of water from the fan area.

this is the best i can explain it from the customer point of view.
Maybe.. an r22 conventional, gets to its heating setpoint then shuts off followed by reversing valve equalising.. mike.

tichyt
16-10-2010, 07:14 PM
hi, to close this thread the noise was from the fan hitting a piece of wire. all sorted now. thanks for any help given.