PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove ice from coil?

Csquared
28-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Whats the best way to remove ice from evaporator coil?
Coil is in walk-in freezer at 10 F. Trying to remove ice without raising ambient temp too much.

chemi-cool
28-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Melt it.

Water, Big hair drier, compressed air, .....

james10
28-09-2010, 05:27 PM
de-icer works a treat if working conditions allow

NoNickName
28-09-2010, 07:21 PM
defrosting

Quality
28-09-2010, 07:22 PM
defrosting
I was just about to say that:D

goshen
28-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Whats the best way to remove ice from evaporator coil?
Coil is in walk-in freezer at 10 F. Trying to remove ice without raising ambient temp too much.
Hi :
all the solutions mentioned above will do,but you should look into the reason you have ice buildup
and try to prevent this by either defrosting more frequently ,or checking your charge and txv settings,
ice builds up for a reason!
good luck:D

FEISTY
29-09-2010, 03:56 AM
I came across some infrared clamp-on heat lamps that I use after pulling fan blade and motor assm. The clamp holds on to the coil opening and being infrared heats only surface and not air. They cut thaw time more than 50% but I only use them with thick ice. Just be safe and make sure they don't allow water to drip on them.

stathis
29-09-2010, 10:58 AM
its funny but our target is to make ice and freeze things and at the same time...ice is our worst enemy! i agree with goshen,hot wateris another solution

coolhibby1875
30-09-2010, 12:27 PM
what i do is pump down the sytem, wire in the defrost contactor with the fans of, go for a few cups of tea, come back and pull the ice of the front and back of the coil, then investagate as to why its icing up, all of this depends if its electric defrosts!!

Ajit Suri
30-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Try using reverse cycle, however program the evaporator fan to be switched off during the cycle.

richelli
30-09-2010, 07:26 PM
If i'm in no rush, hold the unit on defrost till ice clears. Fastest way is hose pipes and hot water but not always possible if shop is open. For small units I carry a Large flower pump sprayer that I fill with hot water. Obviously you have to see why its iced up in the first place.

goshen
01-10-2010, 02:52 PM
what i do is pump down the sytem, wire in the defrost contactor with the fans of, go for a few cups of tea, come back and pull the ice of the front and back of the coil, then investagate as to why its icing up, all of this depends if its electric defrosts!!
Hi as you said " then investigate " that in my opinion is the correct way to approach a system!! :)