PDA

View Full Version : Peltier Coolers

airefresco
27-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Has anyone ever had much dealings with TECīs (peltiers)?

I need a small amount of cooling so they seem the obvious choice, but Iīm getting conflicting views on controlling them. From what Iīve seen thermostat control is bad for them, PWM is bad for them. So what are you supposed to do?

I have looked at a wine chiller and that I think uses PWM and computer overclockers I assume just use on/off controls.

I donīt want to spend a lot on controller, Iīd just make something to incorporate into my project. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chemi-cool
27-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Ask the manufacturers, try gooooooooooooooogle

Brian_UK
27-09-2010, 11:06 PM
I was going to direct you to a previous thread which discussed some of these problems.

Changed my mind when I realised that you were one of the major contributors. DOH!

Remember the lady with the vivarium?

mad fridgie
27-09-2010, 11:31 PM
It comes down to what level of temperature control you require.
remember that these are DC, so changing the voltage input changes the refrigeration effect. TEC are good thermal conductors when they are off, so it is better to leave a trickle charge going through.

airefresco
28-09-2010, 08:41 AM
I was going to direct you to a previous thread which discussed some of these problems.

Changed my mind when I realised that you were one of the major contributors. DOH!

Remember the lady with the vivarium?

Yeah, I remember. In fact I am doing almost exactly the same thing as what is in that thread.

The modules themselves, I have no problem with, I understand the heat sinks and all that. Itīs just the controls and power supplies. Temperature wise itīs not going to be cold at all really, I only need a temperature 27šC and it doesnīt need to be that accurate, within a degree of that will suffice.

If for example, I had 2 supplies (say, 12v and 1,5v) and supplied the TEC with 12v when thermostat on and 1,5v when thermostat off, would that be sufficient to maintain a steady-ish temperature while not damaging the TEC or does the transition need to be smooth?

desA
28-09-2010, 09:27 AM
http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200112/variable.html

Would this kind of variable voltage power supply be useful?

airefresco
28-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Possibly if it was made a bit more powerful and robust. Iīve not done the sums yet, but I think that I am going to need about 50watts of cooling, plus fans, etc so I would need a power supply capable something higher than that. Probably 100w power supply would be sufficient. Itīs more the method of how to feed the TEC really.

Brian_UK
28-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Whichever is used the fans can be fed from a "simple" power supply, maybe cheaper????

stefen
08-10-2010, 05:45 AM
yes you can search the answer for your problem at different search engine.