PDA

View Full Version : Career Change

ChemEnger
04-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Dear all,
I am a Charterered Chemical Engineer with 9 years experience working for Chemical companies.
I have decided that I would like a change in career and would like a more hands on job. I have researched the role of Air Con and Refrigeration Engineer and its sounds just right for me.
Can anyone give me some advice on how I can get into this. I am willing to start at the bottom and work my way up. Trainee positions seem to be few and far between. Am I better going to college first and getting the necessary qualifications?.

chemi-cool
05-07-2005, 04:30 AM
Am I better going to college first and getting the necessary qualifications?.

Absolutely!

Chemi :)

Andy W
05-07-2005, 07:14 AM
I started in the days before colleges were available and never had the opportunity to attend, all my training was literally hands on and reading loads of books and asking lots of questions. I have attended night classes for electrical courses over the last 15 years buts that about it.

Brian_UK
05-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Yes, colleg is always good but it might be worthwhile trying to see if there will be any work for you in your area.

I think most college will do a day-release type of training so with a amenable employer you may be able to get on-the-job training that way.

ChemEnger
05-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks for your replies so far. Does anyone know of any positions or contacts in the North Lincolnshire Area?. I'll even do unpaid for a while to get the experience.

Brian_UK
05-07-2005, 10:47 PM
I'll even do unpaid for a while to get the experience.Jeeez, don't tell them that, they'll be all over you :eek: ;)