PDA

View Full Version : Coke Machine Compressor Deck

chewi4u
26-09-2010, 03:31 AM
I have a early 80's Dixie Narco 414/239-9 Coke machine. I purchased it from a person that had it setting in their garage for a few years. It had a new compressor installed in 97 and was charged with R134A. After cleaning it and blowing out everything I plugged it in and the compressor runs but it only gets down to about 68 degrees and the evaporator starts to frost over. I took a closer look at the evaporator between the fins and it appears to have hundreds of little holes all over the coil they look like bubbles that poped out. Is this normal? Or is this a major leak?:eek:

nike123
26-09-2010, 06:08 PM
These holes are only on aluminum fins (that part of fin is extruded from hole for pipe), not on copper pipe below.

chemi-cool
26-09-2010, 06:12 PM
If its 134a, I would gamble on a blocked filter\drier.

chewi4u
26-09-2010, 11:11 PM
So if i under stand you correctly. Alluminium evaporators have these little holes all over the place (as pictured below the original comment)? Another thing i forgot to mention is it looks like someone installed a nipple in one of the lines to recharge the system. Thinking of going to harbor freight and picking up some pressure gauges to check the ***** level. Maybe charge if low. Is this a good Idea? I am mechanically inclined some what. Doesn't seem like to hard of a task as long as I know the correct pounds to charge to. Any suggestions? Just don't feel like paying $125 just to have a refer dude come look. If all else fails i'll just spend 220 and get a vendo replacement refer unit already charged and ready to install. Thanks in advance for all your help.:)

FEISTY
27-09-2010, 02:50 AM
Am I being overly sensitive after another 7 day week of bailing out customers who think " US REEFER DUDES " charge too much to do too little ?? We are the 24-7-365 heros when their beer is warm or their meat starts to smell funny and we fix whatever they tried to fix first. If you don't even own a manifold set, I'm sure a vacuum pump is out of the question. Tha size system is running a cap tube so the charge should be weighed in. Oh...sorry...no scale either. After 19 years of pretty much 7 days a week, I take being called a REEFER DUDE personally. If you have to ask the most basic questions...ask yourself if doing something you obviously know little about is the best thing to do. My opinion...call in a qualified tech or buy your cold drink from someone who did.

chewi4u
27-09-2010, 04:56 AM
Um....Wow! :off topic: That was unexpected. Take a chill pill buddy. I in no means intended to disrespect you or your profession. Just because you work "7 days a week fixing other peoples mistake is not my fault." If anything you should be thanking them for giving you job security. I think it's pretty obvious that this website has a lot of members that are refrigeration experts and some may be professionals. I posted this message to reach a professional. I didn't realize that this website was for snobby refrigeration experts only. I got a few replies earlier from some good people that were actually trying to help me and I thank them. I am not an expert but I do like the challenge of doing something myself and saving a little money if possible and if not then at least I tried and I'll hire an expert to help obviously. I realize that I may not have all the knowledge or tools but my point was that I am willing to purchase the tools and learn some tricks of the trade from you experienced Refer DUDES or DUDETTES (meant with the greatest of respect) You know... I'm not an automobile mechanic either but with the help of some awesome ASE Certified DUDES that I met in a mechanics forum I was able to do an entire engine swap on my truck by myself in my homes garage. I didn't have all the tools either. I had to purchase an engine hoist, stand, oil pump primer, pulley puller, etc..... It took me a month to finish but it is an awesome feeling for me to drive that truck to work knowing that the engine under that hood was my doing. Now if all I wanted was to get it done right and fast I would have hired a mechanic. Whats the fun in that. This Coke machine is a restoration project that I am taking on for my home theater. If I have to learn isn't this the place to reach you guys or gals that have 5,19, or more years of experience for help. If not then I must be in the wrong place. So do you see where i'm coming from Sir. All I am looking for is some FRIENDLY advice.

To those awesome dudes or dudette's that replied earlier I thank you. My next question is what do I need to be able to check and maybe recharge my coke machines refrigeration unit? The Refrigeration expert that chewed me out said something about a vacuum pump. I assume this is to draw the old ***** out and not let any air in? I do have an automotive hand vacuum pump with gauge would this work? Thanks again.:)

nike123
27-09-2010, 05:51 AM
Your response is expected because you know very little to nothing to what is necessary to do job properly.
He gave you good advice.
First, legal things:
You are not allowed to vent refrigerant in that unit to atmosphere. I even don't know if it is legal in your country to work on pressurized refrigerant equipment without proper qualification (especially in case of injury).
Therefore you need equipment (which is many times worth of that coke machine) like refrigerant recovery machine, digital scale, recovery refrigerant cylinder, vacuum pump (double stage capable of achieving vacuum of 50 microns/0,05 torr/0,000967PSIA), electronic vacuum meter, manifold gauges etc...
Also, you need knowledge how to work with pressurized equipment safely without risk of injuring yourself by frost, acids in system, electric shock etc...

What you need to do is to recover every drop of refrigerant, weigh in recovered amount, compare that with nameplate amount, check composition, acidity and moisture content of recovered refrigerant to be able to know what is going on in system than based on that make necessary further actions.

Are you able to purchase/borrow all that equipment?
Are you willing to brake law?
How much you will spare with that?

If all is yes, some of us will guide you, no problem.;)

BTW, what is fixed route? Woodworking tool?

chewi4u
27-09-2010, 06:14 AM
Thanks alot nike123 this is the kind of response i was looking for. Facts without the sarcasm. You are correct that i no very little about this stuff. I thought it might be like topping off the frion in a car. You can buy 134a at autozone with a pressure gauge on it. Anyway i think i might buy a whole new compressor unit already charged and swap it out. Thanks again nike123.

nike123
27-09-2010, 06:29 AM
I thought it might be like topping off the frion in a car.

Car instalations are subjected to extreme vibration and car (compressor and instalation) is not hermetic one (it has O-rings and piston rings). Therefore pipes and compressor normally leak, and eventually need to be topped (but again by recovering, weighing and then recharging by weight). Hermetically sealed system like coke machine should hold charge at least 20 years without much influence on performance. If you need to top up, than you have leak which should be found and repaired and than charged by weight because chance that you charge it correctly without weighing is, IMHO, about 2%. Also, when you charge by weight and system still doesn't work correctly, you new for sure that problem is not lack or surplus of refrigerant, which save lot of time in diagnosing.

FEISTY
28-09-2010, 03:52 AM
I would just like to refer to my opening comment that I may be overworked and therefore sensitive to off the cuff statements. I have no problem with sharing as much information and knowledge as I possess. I am trying to be careful that the information given is used wisely. I was not trying to insult anyone. There is a very familiar...overly used...and , I find most of the time incorrect, answer to the " What's wrong with it, it's warm" The next statement is almost always...just needs a shot of gas !!!. This job is not that easy. I have personally witnessed compressors that blew completely out of a unit from an overcharge. I saw a " rookie " who pulled a stem out of an access port while the unit was running and ended up with a hole 100% thru his hand. Techs who got " lit up " from thinking the power was off...and thought wrong. If you want to pursue this great trade...fantasic. Please do it the right way. School...online courses...hook up with qualified technicians who have paid their dues and..yes...worked the same 24-7-365 schedules I do. This is not a trade you can learn simply by asking a question and hoping for the best. As my farewell says...don't leave it like you found it..leave it like it should be. I apologize if I insulted you. It was not my intention. We are here to help. We just ask that you know what to do with our help. Thanks for letting me clear the air. Good luck and have a good day !!

chewi4u
28-09-2010, 04:57 AM
Feisty you are alright :) I thank you for explaining your feelings. I appreciate your concern for my well being. What ever my decision is from this point I will be very careful and take you and your fellow refrigeration brothers advice.

FEISTY
29-09-2010, 03:59 AM
Welcome to the finest group of techs I ever come across for advice. You just need to take the good advice along with the occasional criticism. Most of the time it is meant to only help. Have a good day !!