PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia Oil Draining and Purging through Water!

Grizzly
25-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Hi Guys!
Through experience some of my colleagues and I have adopted the practise of.
Cutting a segment off the top of any Oil drums we use to drain oil into or Purge into.
This allows for a fast and easy identification of what is in the drum.
In fact I now date and sign any oil drums as to whether they are part used good oil or waste oil.

This may seem a little over the top.
But I have known Engineers to mistake drums of Water with oil residue on top.
As "fresh oil", in one case I inherited a 8 cylinder recip, which this had happened to!
Resulting in a complete rebuild and that company being thrown off site!

This misinterpretation was quite rare but as sites have less "bespoke" Engineers and Reilly on us contractors more.
Similar is starting to happen again.

Most of the modern training seems to point out whose responsibility the waste oil is.
And particularly how it is stored.
However in the real world the above can happen all the more frequently.
Has anyone encountered similar?
Grizzly

NoNickName
25-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Can't understand a word of this.

nike123
25-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Can't understand a word of this.
Come on, it is not that hard!;)
Simple, he cuts top of drum and you know waste oil is in that drum. Undamaged drum mean new oil.

james10
25-09-2010, 11:05 AM
I once heard a story of someone peeing in an empty oilcan and putting the lid back on i'll let you guess what happend next:p

Quality
25-09-2010, 12:03 PM
The oil storage regulations "IF" complied with should separate New oil from waste oil but as you say the real world is a little bit different from the training world:)

NoNickName
25-09-2010, 12:26 PM
A cut drum can't be accepted for storing oil any longer, because it could spill when inadvertently hit.
Your idea of mistake prevention is unlawful in EU.
Oil recovery must be ensured in spill-proof, sealed canisters, properly marked on the outside for hazards.

Grizzly
25-09-2010, 01:19 PM
A cut drum can't be accepted for storing oil any longer, because it could spill when inadvertently hit.
Your idea of mistake prevention is unlawful in EU.
Oil recovery must be ensured in spill-proof, sealed canisters, properly marked on the outside for hazards.

I totally agree!
Yet again you are making assumptions!
With oil It is marked as waste or fresh on the lid of its Drum.
The waste being removed to a bunded vessel.
When draining oil from an ammonia system.
I use old drums with part of the top removed to drain into.
1) I can observe the oil ammonia mix whilst I am removing it. The safest way I have yet to encounter!
2) These drums can be reused to purge Ammonia into if necessary. Without the fear that anyone could confuse whats in it!
3) When removing Oil from a system it will contain a fair amount of Ammonia. Therefore prior to moving it to the oil bund / collection point.
I like to leave it to boil off the Ammonia.
And not pressurise the container.
Then it can be transfered into a suitable sealed container.

4) Why so aggressive all the time, You must hate engineers or is it just me?
For daring to question sometimes?
Nah! I have just read some of your other posts you are aggressive with everyone.

The above is the real world whilst still complying with
Regulations!
Grizzly

NoNickName
25-09-2010, 01:33 PM
I am aggressive with those trying to find an easy way through the regulations (my nationals are masters of that).
And with those unable to properly use punctuation.
I think you still don't comply with the regulations, despite being the real world you'are living in, and a perfect world I'm living in.

EDIT: and you know what? I've got nothing against engineers make a living out of their jobs, but why are you coming suggesting how to unlawfully dispose of oil in the first place and not keeping it to yourself?

Quality
25-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Regulations are there to regulate , control ,restrict ,stop , start any area that needs to be dealt with

Just like speed limits that nobody breaks :p

nonickname just because you live in a perfect world it does not mean we all do.

The perfect world has no time or money constraints, in the real world these two are the only things that matter:cool:

NoNickName
25-09-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm just saying: you want to pour your oil into the thames? Go ahead, but don't make yourself an example for anyone else or younger generations.

Grizzly
25-09-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm just saying: you want to pour your oil into the thames? Go ahead, but don't make yourself an example for anyone else or younger generations.

You enjoy arguing don't you!
You are assuming to much.. Chill I am not trying to cheat or fool anyone only trying to point out where mistakes could be made>

Grizzly

nike123
25-09-2010, 02:47 PM
You enjoy arguing don't you!

We call it here "nejebica" !:D
Lack of "something".;)

NoNickName
25-09-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm not arguing. You are posting your bad habits.