PDA

View Full Version : Pressure testing

bernard
02-07-2005, 05:32 PM
A few days ago I was pressure testing a run of cabinets.I noticed some white mist coming out the armo flex on the suction.I stripped it back all the way down to a oil trap between two cabinets,the armo flex was pooled with oil so obviously the leak was here.

I have never seen this mist before. Is it common,there was also uv dye in the oil.

Regards Bernard

chemi-cool
02-07-2005, 05:41 PM
The mist is droplets of oil pushed out by the OFN.
Must have been a big leak.

Chemi :)

chillyhamster
02-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Silly question, but had the cabinets been moved or re-positioned.

bernard
03-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Hi chillyhamster

No not that I am aware of,why do you ask.The leak was a pin hole on the braze,leak dectectors didn,t pick it up

Regards Bernard

cool breeze
21-05-2006, 12:10 AM
What is OFN. Is this another name for dry nitrogen which is what we use for pressure testing for leaks?

old gas bottle
21-05-2006, 09:01 AM
oxygen free nitrogen,got me wondering here bernard,why would a leak detector pick up on nitrogen anyway,? the pressure test can only give a visule and time test,unless there are leak detectors that pick up nitrogen whitch i never have heard off.or am i reading the thread wrong?

NoNickName
21-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Nitrogen is 72% of the air we breath. Nitrogen detectors would be useless in open air.

Brian_UK
21-05-2006, 01:02 PM
unless there are leak detectors that pick up nitrogen whitch i never have heard offOGB, you can use an audio leak detector to pick up leaks. I have used them in the past and found them quite successful even in noisey environments.

jamcool
21-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Well,what ever bernard was using his good old eye sight was what found that leak.:)
Am not too familler on the ultra sound detectors :confused: do u but on head phones and listen for leaks:confused: is that it.

frank
21-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Hi Jamcool

Have a read of this http://www.superiorsignal.com/usndacr.pdf

abdulazman
21-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Hi Guys

Job well done bernard ;) . Jamcool, OGB :) agree with you guys. Leak detectors usually backfires and not 100% accurate :mad: , I've used bloodhounds,tiffs,halide lamp and uvs. Best method six sense, ofn with soap and water. If you can't locate the leak than use that soapy solution for masturbating :D :D :D

Cheerio guys.
Don't worry be happy :) :) :)

kevin090972
22-05-2006, 04:20 PM
look...bernard din't mention anything about using nitrogen during the leak test. It was chemi-cool who suspected he using nitrogen. Assuming bernard is not using nitrogen, then i would believe that probably what he is seeing is in fact liquified ***** escaping through the hole. either the system was overcharged with gas and thus returning lots of unevaporated gas or probably the evaporator (or fan coil) is so badly choked up that the gas did not evaporate. But above all, like all of you guys, I'm also speculating because I don't know if bernard is introducing nitogen into the system or not. Cheers!